Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 1897 CB the other day for sell. Price was $1600.00. 99 % new old stock. Is that crazy and/or they that rare? I have a 336CB,1894CB,1895CB.WHY did I have to SEE this rifle? 1600 for a 22 rifle!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well used ones can go 800-1200. Condition is everything.

Reactions: 1Merlin

·
Registered
751 Posts
I saw a 1897 CB the other day for sell. Price was $1600.00. 99 % new old stock. Is that crazy and/or they that rare? I have a 336CB,1894CB,1895CB.WHY did I have to SEE this rifle? 1600 for a 22 rifle!
For what its worth. About 4 months ago I paid just north of 1K for mine in excellent condition, but no box or papers.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!
Sometimes, you can find a nice Model 39 (octagon barrel) for under $1K! They are shooters & no cross bolt safety w/rebounding hammer & often still have some nice case color .

Reactions: 1Merlin and ere

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've never given any of the new 1897's any thought. The rebounding hammer, safety, and extra holes in the receiver turn me off. Love the octagon barrel but that's not enough for me to over look the other things. Just my personal preferences.

That and I'm too cheap to pay that kinda money for that gun. NIB 39M Octagon...Maybe.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!
Sometimes, you can find a nice Model 39 (octagon barrel) for under $1K! They are shooters & no cross bolt safety w/rebounding hammer & often still have some nice case color .

Yup! I have 4. $900 was the most expensive one and that was a 39M Octagon. NIB 39 CL for $800. Last one is a 39 CL...$300

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STILL looking at that 1897! It’s calling my name. DO I really need all of my Marlin levers to match? Does this mean that I am now a “ collector”? I have a nice 39A pistol grip that serves me fine. What’s next? A short barreled 1895CBA to go with my 26” barreled 1895 CB? Sounds limeI may need an intervention!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Someone told me you become a collector when you start purchasing firearms that don't fill a practical need. When I grew up, you really couldn't hunt with anything but a .22 and a shotgun. You could take anything available with them, and I did. That being the proven case, no one really needs one of those "high powered rifles" in Indiana.

And in reality, I suppose no one needs to hunt any more for food. They've made the investment greater than the return. You can trap vermin.

And so, I am a collector. I enjoy it, and I will continue to do so for no other necessity than shear pleasure of the art. And until the definition of necessity changes.

What a great country we live in. Collect and enjoy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I did buy the 1897. It will probably be to me sometime next week. I’ll try to take a family portrait of my CB family. Thanks to my fellow Marlin Enablers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I paid $1275 for my 2001 NIB, JM 1897 Cowboy with the full package - box, papers, etc.

They are difficult to find, but worth every cent.

Nice companion for my 1996 JM 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt.

I have the exact same set up as you show in your photo. Both are a pleasure to handle and shoot.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Would a 1897 safety.. made in 1901 be considered a “cowboy “ ?
It does have an octagon barrel

·
Registered
125 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts