Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pressure I put on the forearm or the lack of pressure have a huge affect on the POI (2 to 3 inches) at 100 yards with my 1895ss. Are there some bedding or floating tips for a 1895 barrel or does all the stuff hanging off the barrel pretty much prevent this? FWIW, if I shoot offhand sitting or standing (how I will hunt with this rifle) and use my normal shooting technique the rifle will shoot repeatedly within the constraints of my not so good vision and not so steady hands. It is trying to shoot the gun from a rest to establish the accuracy of a particular load that the forearm causes me trouble.

BB

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I've come up with, in my mind, something that takes most of the variables out. When shooting from a bench, I roll up a wool blanket and place it on the bench. I then hold the forearm as I usually would shooting offhand, and I rest the back of my hand on top of the wool blanket. FWIW, I don't sit on a stool either, I kneel on one knee beside the bench; helps ya ride the recoil a bit and is more like the natural offhand shooting position, again IMO. That might not eliminate any pressure on the barrel, but it's consistent. I shoot with XS peeps, and I'm after hunting accuracy, which for me is a 2-3 inch group at 100 yards, and that's what I get with my GS .45-70 and factory 300 gr winchesters.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That's a strange one. Two options to consider is to either bed the fore stock or free float it. I tend to think the bedding might be better. My 1895SS fore stock is in full contact between the fore stock and barrel. She shoots very consistent. I am shooting stock buckhorn iron sights, factory ammo (JSP 350 grain) and getting 1" groups at 50 yds. I think I'd do better with a scope but for brushy hunting conditions I prefer open sights. Most of my hunting conditions are in pretty thick cover.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes, that is strange in my experience.

LIke 4t57t mentioned. When sighting in a rifle for field use I also hold the forend with my hand in a normal grip and just use the bench as a rest. That seems to make a lot of difference for me in point of impact in the field, especially with guns with a lot of recoil. Was just shooting my 1895 yesterday and tried to reproduce what you talked about here after I read it and could not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your POI should not change that much. I have bedded my 1895 XLR and 308 XLR and they both have excellent groups, sub-MOA with hand loads. Take a look at the McPherson articles for tuning lever guns <Index of M. L. (Mic) McPherson Articles>. The only thing I did not do is place the bead of silicone between the magazine and the barrel. If your magazine tube is not stable in the action you might consider this extra step. The fore-end cap is tricky during assembly. Find some long wood clamps to help align the fore-end screws...be patient. I would recommend purchasing some extra fore-end screws from Brownell's. I was very satisfied with the results of the work and I did it myself.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey BB,

That is a very common issue. changing you grip can and does make a big difference in POI. The photo below demonstrates the difference that changing the grip can make.

Groups fired with a 1894 CB in 44-40 caliber. As you can see the pressure applied to the rifle on both stock and fore end had a noticeable affect on impact. To add to the confusion, each rifle in my stable may and usually does react differently to inconsistent grip pressure.

Most shooters don't notice the effects of pressure because, 1. they don't shoot that well, or.... 2. they have never done any testing.

I hope that helps.

JB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.