Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1895 that is marked 1895ss but it's a blued rifle. I called Marlin with the serial number and they said it was manufactured between 9 and 11 years ago. What does the "ss" indicate?

I've been looking at the 1895 GBL rifles online and kinda like how they look. Any good or bad thoughts or experience with them?

·
Registered
164 Posts
There has been some real bad stories come from people that have bought a GBL/SBL. I personally bought a GBL about 6 weeks ago or so and this thing is a great shooter. It will eat anything that you run through it without a bobble. The wood to metal fit/finish is not perfect but this ain't a Wetherby or Browning White Gold Medallion either. I just love mine. I went through the stickies and read on how to work on the trigger and what to clean up on the inside and it helped alot. Everytime I get a chance I will grab it and cycle the action about 50 times just because. My wife thinks that I am crazy but it is helping to slick it up more. I think that the new remlins are great 'Kit Guns' for the beginner/intermediate gun junkie. If you get stumped and are not sure then ask on here and someone will point you in the right direction.

kenken ;D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When your rifle was made, Marlin did not produce any stainless steel rifles. When the stainless rifles came out, the SS was dropped to avoid confusion and that model simply became the 1895.

Don't know what SS originally stood for.

You have an excellent rifle, made well before all this Remington nonsense. It will shoot with the best of them.

If you decide to get a GBL, if it is a Remington-made one, look it over real good before you buy. Some have had crooked sights, wood that does not fit the metal and droopy barrels. If in doubt, ask us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been trying to figure these letters out also. Someone posted some of these before, and if I recall correctly, the 1895 S stood for "Sporter" -- this 1981 change added the pistol grip with curved lever, and a flatter buttplate. The 1895 "SS" is the Sporter with Safety (the “CBS” crossbolt hammerblock safety). I'm not sure when the safety was added. I think a stainless 336 (336 SS) was added around 2000, for more SS confusion.

For the 1895s, the Stainless is now a single S added, as 1895 G vs. 1895 GS for the stainless guide gun, but on other models it is a suffix instead of a prefix.... and sometimes the G is dropped. Go figure.
So: G = Guide, S= Stainless, BL = Big Lever, XLR = Extra Long Range, CB = Cowboy,
and I think the special runs were D = Davidsons, T = Talo, A = AccuSports

Any of the collectors have the complete list? (I don't know the 336 designations, but I think
there is a A, ADL, SC, C, RC, CC, CS, D, ER and ??.)

I hope this helps.
-- cw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts