Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting my new SBL and it has finally become obvious that the front sight is either bent or the dovetail isn't machined square in the top of the barrel. I don't want to take it apart to do some more measuring yet as its sighted in and I'll be bear hunting over the next few weeks with it. Anyone else seen this and or know what the fix may be. Groups great and functions perfectly otherwise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There have been many many rifles recently that have similar problems to yours. The fix will depend on whether your front site mounting holes were drilled and tapped properly or if your rear sight dovetail was cut correctly. Another thing you might want to inspect, is if your barrel was installed into the receiver with the front and rear sight alignment at a 12 o'clock position or are they canted to one side or the other?
If you'll read some of the posts in the Marlin Rant section you'll see examples of varying problems of one sort or another.
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
First off, what is making this obvious to you?

If a dovetail is not machined square it should be obvious during inspection to the naked eye.

The SBL's front sights aren't dovetailed in though my friend...... that front XS sight is mounted by two threaded holes. It sounds more like the threaded holes may be off center.......

You had better plan on using a different rifle or do something quick to that SBL if you plan on taking it bear hunting......shot placement is crucial and they are tough animals! I've witnessed several gun hunters lose their bear over the last few years with poor shot placement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you draw a vertical line through the magazine and barrel you can tell that the sight is not straight up and down. Don't worry about shot placement the gun is sighted in...the rear peep is just pushed all the way to the right. Thanks for the comments on how the sight is mounted...I just didn't want to take it apart until after the season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts