Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've done some searches here and found nothing regarding this problem. Could be me not knowing the Tapatalk ap very well. I've already gotten some advice on my new member thread but decided to carry it over to where it belongs.
I bought this gun in or around 99-01. I've shoot a lot of the Remmington 300 & 405 rounds through it. I was at the LGS and picked up a couple boxes of the Hornady LE 325gr. We're planning an over night hike/fly fishing trip in the high country of the Eastern Sierras. There are bear and large confident coyotes up there. It'll be my wife, 10yr old son and I.
So, I'm planning on lugging this beast with me since it's virtually a weather proof howitzer.
The LE loads jam on every loading cycle. I've been told the mag tube plunger needs replaced. I'll post pics up soon. Still learning this Tapatalk thing.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
MrDenton, you are correct, you need to change your follower to the newer styled ones with the dimple in the middle to cacth the tip of the pointed leverevolution rounds. There is a guide for disassemble and reassemble in the gunsmithing section here on MO. Some others will chime in with good advice, but basically you have too remove the mag tube to get to the follower.
JB

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
MrD that is the correct follower for the LE ammo in your link.

All it does is keeps the gummy tip from getting snagged between the follower and the mag tubes inner wall.

Be sure that is what your problem is. Load a regular jacketed offering in the tube first and then the LE ammo and give it a try.

Rack your lever with a little authority and in the upright position please.

Yes you should be able to cycle ammo with the gun on it's side and slow like you did, but that's not how it was designed to work.

Let us know if there is any problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I just did it slow and on it's side because I was also the cameraman. Out at the range I was cycling it as it was designed. I'm hoping the follower will be here Monday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, new stainless follower arrived today. Was planning on installing it this evening and testing it tomorrow.
It's not too often I get a weekend night off so my wife and son were excited to spend time with me.
The two of them insisted I bake them chocolate chip cookies, I told them I was planning on working on my rifle. Soooooooooo, check this out!
My wife says she'll do the gun if I bake cookies.
Cookies are delicious and the LE rounds feed perfect. Test shooting in the am. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411877934.059127.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411877950.369452.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411877976.641966.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
I never cared much for the lighter LE stuff. I know, technology and all but I still prefer chunks of Pb. I would like some cookies though.

Reactions: MrDenton
1 - 17 of 17 Posts