Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys (and Gals),

I'm having some issues with a new 1895GS, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light. I'm on my second 1895GS, the first one refused to load more than one round in the magazine tube. The second one seems to be working a little bit better, but I'm still having problems. I tried a box of Remington Express Core-Lokt ammunition at the range, and it did not cycle properly. It would fire, eject, but the next round would tend to kind of jam up instead of chambering properly. I would have to push the lever back down then pull it back up to get it to chamber. So I thought, maybe it doesn't like that ammo. I picked up some brass and Hornady RN 350 bullets at the gun shop, and set about making up some loads that I knew were to spec. Using this, I made up some dummy rounds (no primer or powder), making sure that my OAL was just a tick under 2.550" and loaded them into the magazine tube. Cycled one into the chamber no problem, then refused to eject (OAL appeared to be too long). So I took the bolt out and managed to get the round stuck in the extractor freed, and tried bumping it down to 2.540". Same story. 2.530". Ejected, but now refused to chamber properly, would get stuck at an angle in there and had to be wiggled out.

Should I be using a different OAL or something for these bullets, or did I end up with another dud of a 1895GS? I'm getting a little frustrated as you can imagine :mad: this was purchased as a wilderness defense gun for carrying as a geologist in northern Canada, but I'm starting to wonder if I can trust these things in a life and death situation!

Yes, they are both "remlin" versions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
2.55" should feed fine (I haven't used those bullets, but if a big, wide, cast bullet will feed at that length...)...I'm not the guy to ask for gunsmithing help, but OAL is not the problem.

Are you "babying" it? If so...don't.

When you work the lever...do it like you mean it, especially on a new gun. Try that and see what happens...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sounds to me like the lifter is messed up. Have you taken it apart to check for any burrs or anything else that looks like it'd keep things from running smooth? Also with your failure to eject- are you racking the lever fast enough to eject the shell? Or does the cartridge not clear the chamber?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I forgot to mention...there have been a few lately that the extractors were too tight on them, that could be your feed problem.

You can bend it out a little to loosen it up...

Is it just me...or is discussing Marlins getting to be an awful lot like discussing 1911's?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
I forgot to mention...there have been a few lately that the extractors were too tight on them, that could be your feed problem.

You can bend it out a little to loosen it up...

Is it just me...or is discussing Marlins getting to be an awful lot like discussing 1911's?
forgot about the extractor..good point.

yup, seems like if it's not one thing, it's another these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cartridge does not clear the chamber when trying to eject with an OAL of 2.550 or 2.540.

I tried bending the extractor out a touch to fix the feed problem already. I'm not even positive there actually is a feed problem though, I'm wondering if under-OALing it to 2.530" is messing with the geometry of the feeding mechanism.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Too short can mess things up...Go back to the Factory Remingtons and get them to work and go from there.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
It's not clearing the chamber? Meaning when you open the lever all the way the nose of the bullet can not clear the ejection port? ??? Shortening the OAL too much builds high pressure in the cartridge. Remington is probably using 336 recievers for the 1895! ::) They both use the same reciever, but the 1895's ejection port is much larger. Oh brother I hope i'm wrong! I know I know, but I would not be surprised! :p

Read this and see if it is your problem.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,51618.0.html

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Davidson said:
The cartridge does not clear the chamber when trying to eject with an OAL of 2.550 or 2.540.
And it should at those COL's ::)

Davidson – welcome to MO :)

Umm, before I take a shot at this multi/word problem… is it possible for you to post some pis?...
Would really like to see a close-up of the ejection port to confirm a 1895 action,,, and a close-up of the extractor hook/claw to check its general shape…

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check to see if the ejector is coming up to soon and the rim is catching the end of the ejector instead of the shoulder . Had that happen on mine and the nose of the bullet would hang up on the port.

Also the action should run slow and smooth, here`s mine with the ejection port facing up. This gun was rough when i got it new (rem) but after smoothing everything up and changing the ejector it runs great.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
What have you found ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts