Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed a WWG "Happy Trigger" kit and a bear proof ejector in my JM stamped guide gun and went to the range to test it out. The Happy Trigger was as advertised and was a huge improvement over the stock trigger. However, the jury is still out on the WWG ejector.

I started off firing eight rounds of Collins 300 grain JHP that all functioned flawlessly. Next I tried a few of what looks like round nosed bullet in star-line brass (20 of these came with the rifle)...this fed and fired just fine but then the action locked up so tight I almost couldn't get it open...finally after almost five minutes the round ejected with small nicks around the lip of the case. Fired a few more Collins with no problems and tried one last of the star-line brass cased rounds and the same thing...action locked up again but ejected finally with a little less problem.

So common sense says not to shoot anymore of the suspect rounds...what I am wondering if it may have to do the the new bear proof ejector or just the ammo. The rounds that locked up the action did have noticeably more violent recoil than the Collins. I guess I could just replace the WWG ejector with the factory ejector and see if it makes a difference but don't want to damage my rifle...

Pictures follow of the culprit cases (one has scratch nearly whole way down) plus one example of an unfired star-line brass round.

I know it is impossible to diagnose what my problem is without better specifics but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is just a guess, but I would suspect overpressure rounds are making the extraction issues.If most extracted but a few didn't, then maybe who ever loaded them didn't pay close enough attention to the powder being dropped in the case. If you have any more pull them apart and weigh the charge, or if you dont reload just junk them. You will have to shoot some diferent ammo to make sure it's not the extractor though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looks like cratered primers and may be over length case or some other cause so I'd pull a bullet and check the powder charge but don't shoot anymore of those mystery loads. OTHER PEOPLES HAND LOADS ARE BAD NEWS!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After reading some details on this forum and some others could the linear scratches on the brass also indicate an extractor issue?

From what I have read if the action locks with a round chambered it could be an extraction issue AND if the round is extracted from the chamber and fails to eject out of the receiver it is an ejector issue?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Definitely an issue with the hand loaded ammunition. Pull it apart and save the brass and bullets for later loading. I don't believe you have any issues with the extractor or ejector if factory loads are functioning fine.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Plus one for pulling the bullets and dump the powder in your garden. Measure the length of the case and if they're the right length load them back up with powder and try them. I never shoot anyones reloads, just not a good practice. That may be why the gun was for sale, the old owner was shooting those reloads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also, throw those fired casings away. You can see the stretching in the pics. They may separate if you use them again.

Reactions: harrisiv
1 - 7 of 7 Posts