Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question for you guys. After the last time cleaning my 1895G, I put the lever back on and now it seems like it is barely catching. This is allowing the lever to pop back open on me. It feels like it is just barely grabbing. It stays in battery easy enough when I am holding it, but if the lever is slightly tapped it will pop open. Just wondering if any of you all have ran into this and what the remedy is? Scotty

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds like a broken finger lever plunger spring. The spring pressurizes the lever plunger which holds the lever closed. If the spring is broken the plunger will be loose/weak/floppy. The lever plunger is the little metal cam that is just above the opening in the trigger loop of the lever.

Just my best guess - I am no expert nor a gunsmith.

Rob

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob. I will check it out. I have a new WWG lever coming for the rifle, so I wanna make sure it gets installed correctly. Scotty

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Also make sure the plunger has a sharp angle & is not rounded off. I have also seen them where the angle is not straight across & would not lock. 444

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rgr, I will check that as well.. I need to get it remedied soon. It is a little annoying. Scotty

·
Registered
116 Posts
beretzs said:
Rgr, I will check that as well.. I need to get it remedied soon. It is a little annoying. Scotty
It's an easy fix though, few minutes at best. Pop the pin, pull out the lever catch and spring, put in new spring and lever catch, put pin back in. I replaced the lever catch spring on another lever I have, smoothed up the release considerably but like yours, a small bump and the lever drops about half an inch until the slack is taken up. Kind of bugged me at first, but then I said what the heck, I'm squeezing the lever when I shoot anyway...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will take a look at it this evening. I see a new spring is only about 2.00. I gotta WWG lever on the way to my house right now, so maybe I will do them all at once. Scotty

·
Registered
321 Posts
beretzs said:
Thanks, I will take a look at it this evening. I see a new spring is only about 2.00. I gotta WWG lever on the way to my house right now, so maybe I will do them all at once. Scotty
Hi scotty, post a pic or 2 when your done pal :)...Lou ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure will Lou. Just got them in the mail tonight. Not sure when I will get them installed. Scotty

·
Registered
321 Posts
beretzs said:
Sure will Lou. Just got them in the mail tonight. Not sure when I will get them installed. Scotty
Hope the fit and stuff goes well scotty :)...looks like my 45-70 well be going to newfy so far ;) so is my 338, for the long shots...talk soon, Lou

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope so too Lou. Thats great to hear about the 45-70 getting out after moose this year. I am a little jealous, as the 45-70 is tailor made for moose! Looking forward to hearing about that hunt when it happens. Scotty

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1894C when I changed the plunger spring to a slighly weaker spring for easy of opening. Not good, neutral became open 1/2" or so rather than closed tight. Used it a while then changed back to the original factory. Neutral was now closed and it stayed closed. Lesson learned! :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put the new WWG lever in and swapped everything over and it seems find now. Stays closed as it should. Thanks for the heads up on everything. The spring seemed to be fine when I swapped it out? Scotty

·
Registered
116 Posts
beretzs said:
I put the new WWG lever in and swapped everything over and it seems find now. Stays closed as it should. Thanks for the heads up on everything. The spring seemed to be fine when I swapped it out? Scotty
ooh rahh... 8)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigdogbuc said:
ooh rahh... 8)
OOOOH RAHH! Right back at ya buddy! Scotty

·
Registered
603 Posts
bigdogbuc said: