Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I was looking at pictures of this 1895CB and wanted to gain some of your opinions on it. I cannot tell if by the buckhorn sight if it looks like a possible buildup of rust and/or gunk? And I have not seen a sight like that before where it is a straight fold down with nothing in front of it on a marlin. Is that a modified buckhorn sight or something different altogether from the pictures? I have posted several pictures of the gun. Can someone tell me if it looks like a higher grade wood on the gun or just a coating of gloss to make it seem that way? They are asking $1,000 for it, it is a 2002 manufacture date, and they also say it seems to be unfired. What are some of your thoughts on all of it? I know my limitations on what I seem to know about it so all of your expertise on the issues I laid out would be well appreciated.
marlin sight1.jpg marlin sight2.jpg marlin sight3.jpg marlin sight4.jpg marlin sight5.jpg

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Can't help you on the wood, except that the 1895CB I have seems to have a similar finish on it's wood as well. As for the sights, I would venture to say they are replacements. My CB did not have a rear sight, having been replaced with a receiver mounted XS peep sight/ghost ring. The dead give-away is the front sight. I don't believe that Marlin ever sold any of the 1895's from that era with a "fiber optic" insert in the front.

The price is strictly a personal thing--I paid $600 for mine almost 2 years ago. It also depends on what the going rate is in your area. Of course, I paid nearly $700 for a 2001 stainless guide gun.

I'm sure some other members will be along to help you out, as well.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Those are after market sights for sure. Wood is OK but not outstanding. Can't comment on price as they seem to be going up all the time. I paid $700 about 2 years ago for a minty 2002.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It is definitely not a high grade of wood. The gunk on the rear sight may be a mix of grease and oxidation and a good cleaning would likely clean most of it up.

If you're looking to buy this rifle let me suggest you negotiate a 24-hour inspection of it before you accept or decline keeping it. Shipping back to the seller would be on you, of course.

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Rear Sight Specifications

The semi-buckhorn model in the middle of the page at the top is the only rear sight provided from the factory for the 1895CB. Looks like someone installed a folding rear sight so they could mount a scope or to get it out of the way when using a tang sight.

·
Premium Member
14,507 Posts
Let me take the same pics of my 2002 1895 CB 45-70 and you can see the differences. Mine is all original as manufactured by marlin .

Give me an hours of so & I'll post the pics.

·
Premium Member
14,507 Posts
OK here are pics of the kind of sights the 2002 1895CB 45-70 should be equipped with if it was original as manufactured by Marlin.
Mine is also a DOM 2002 , 1895 CB 45-70. It is exactly as it left Marlin in New Haven Conn. in 2002 and it's serial # starts with 98 .

It appears the rifle you're considering buying has had it's sights changed.

Reactions: BFPGW and darkwater

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could be copper grease at the sight. Altough I don,t know why you should put it there. They have been tinkering on the gun, and I can't imagine to go through installing parts and never shooting it. I would never buy a gun unseen
, photo's are no alternativ to having it in your hands and feeling if it's good or bad.

·
Premium Member
14,507 Posts
here is pics of mine's wood also.

I hope my pics help you decide.....at least you have original appearance to judge it by.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Buy it! The stocks and sights can be replaced.

DD

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Its a rough call on price. If its one youll keep for a long time, the price hit will fade quickly. I paid $700 for mine about 2 years ago. Watched one go for $1750 at the last show in March. Since I bought mine.....I have not seen one for less than a Grand. Its area dependent on price though. Everything is expensive here in Ks gun wise. That said, I love my CB and would not give it up for anything.

Hayden.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Sights are definitely changed out. And they changed the sights out and never fired it? Check it over real close and then try to negotiate the price a little. I think he's a little high but that is just my personal opinion.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,507 Posts
As far as it's 1000.00 price tag...

MINE is all original and I turned down $1000.00 cash money for it. I'm keeping mine FOREVER.

So the rest is up to you and your billfold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's responses...I have been looking for a new in box 1895cb that is a true Marlin and not a Remlin for quite some time and would have happily paid the $1000 price on it for sure of it was a true Marlin in an original condition. After reading your comment's through I will just have to tell myself that it wont be the last 1895CB that I come across and wait to purchase one at a later time. If anyone knows of someone either through MO or in person that has a new in box original 1895CB or a 1895 Century Limited that they might want to part with then it would definitely find a good home with me :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting pictures of your 1895CB MarlinMan so that I could compare the two rifles. I wouldn't mind paying $1000 for it if it was unfired and new as they say but it seems like that wouldn't be the case at all. You're pictures have really helped me in determining that the sights are aftermarket which is not something that I want.

·
Premium Member
14,507 Posts
Talk him down on the price a little , buy it and have the original Marbles sights put back on by gunsmith....................worth a try...

There's no such thing as a never been fired Marlin...Marlin proof fires/test fires them before they ship them out....

Check the rifling in the bore before saying no. Doubt it's been fired much even if it got used some.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd buy it if I was in your position, I'd love an 1895 CB. Prices seem to be going up and $1000 actually isn't that bad - every one likes to post the good deal they got years ago, but it's not really relevant unless it's very recent and in your region. Compared with current prices a grand is on the good side. Also the standard sights suck IMO so the fact that they've been changed is unimportant as I'd change them anyway. I think condition and the gun itself is far far more important than cheap, easily changeable sights. Wood is ok - maybe not fancy but the majority aren't either - if you want fancy you can easily get some nice timber and whack it on. At least it's walnut...

Also, it doesn't matter how much it's been fired IMO (again, got lots of those). The cosmetics and function will be what you're looking at, and you can check them out on the spot. People don't realistically wear out 45-70 barrels so what does it matter if it's been fired a few times? Unless you collect them with no intention of firing - in which case I can't relate

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
If NIB and unfired is what you want this rifle is not likely to be that. Given the rear sight was changed then there could be other things about the story that are inaccurate as well. However, if the rifle's condition is good/excellent then putting it back to original condition is an easy task. Order the correct Marbles rear sight and slide it in place. It is hard to find a very good example of an 1895CB pre-Remington anymore and will probably remain that way for some time to come.

1650hunter's assessment echoes mine. If I intend to shoot the rifle then starting with NIB isn't an issue as long as all things are as they should be. If you are collecting to put in a safe then disregard all I have said. I have never had that mindset. I can't own something that sits somewhere unused. Why have a trophy wife if you are just going to look at her. :hmmmm2:

Reactions: 1640hunter
1 - 19 of 19 Posts