Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in casting for my 1895CB 26"bbl, I intend to use the rifle for targets and deer (thick woods), I was wondering what a good multi-purpose bullet might be, or a good one to start with.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'll vote for the RD 350, it doesn't kick your teeth in as bad as the heavier bullets...accurate with plenty of "THUMP" too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would go with the Lyman 457193. Using WW they scale at 415 grns. and shoot like lazers out of my 1895.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Beartooth 350gr. pile-driver lites GC work great for me. You can drive them fast or slow
depending on your recoil threshold.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Cowboy gun said:
I am interested in casting for my 1895CB 26"bbl, I intend to use the rifle for targets and deer (thick woods), I was wondering what a good multi-purpose bullet might be, or a good one to start with.
For just starting out, you could try the Lee 457-405-F mold. It's a flat nose, plain base bullet that I get to drop at .459 with wheel weights. I get 1265fps with 15gr of Unique for a light load and 1750fps with H322 for my heavy load all using starline brass shot out of my Guide Gun.
It's an inexpensive mold you can try that will get you going before moving on to more complex and expensive molds.

Key

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rowdy, thanks I think I will try that mould. Thanks to all for the input, I think I have some good options to play with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts