Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an XLR in 308 in 2002 but always wanted an 1895. When Remington bought Marlin I thought I was out of luck but I eventually found one about 18 months ago. The barrel was roll stamped New Haven, CT but it did not have JM stamped on the barrel. I'm of the understanding the parts for the gun were manufactured at the New Haven plant but it was assembled in the new Remington plant. When I received the gun the wood fitting was horrible but everything else looked good. I disassembled the gun, reworked the wood, slicked the action, and bedded the stock.

I've been playing around with sights and optics for about a year. I've a big fan of the XS rail and I really liked the Weaver V-3 Hunting 1-3x20 scope. I went through a few scope rings and they were all too low, hitting the ghost ring when mounted. I finally went with DNZ reaper mount which clears the XS ghost ring and still gives me a good cheek weld.

Just got back from the range. I shoot hand loaded Hornady cases with the 325 gr gummy tips. The gun was sighted in sub-moa in less than 10 rounds at 100 yards. Final group had all shots touching. Couldn't have asked for more. Removed the scope and sighted the ghost ring in at 50 yards.

Now the great news, remounted the scope and point of impact did not change. Extremely pleased with setup.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just have to love the XLR's. I added an SBL lever to my 444XLR and love it.

Hope you get it to the field soon.

Ken

Reactions: SeanT

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The XLR is my favorite configuration. I had one in 45-70 and sold it to buy one in 450 Marlin. Ended up finally finding another one in 45-70. I won't sell that one again. I still have the blued 45-70 with the 22" barrel, but it doesn't get any range time since the XLR returned. Same for the Browning 1886.
My "wish list" is for a 338MXLR but I have really given up on finding one at a reasonable price. I just don't think it is worth the $1200 guys are asking. For that money, I will just hold a bit high with the 45-70 or the 450 Marlin.

Reactions: SeanT and KEN CO

·
Registered
473 Posts
Still kicking myself as I had found a 336XLR in 30-30 and a 1895XLR in a gun shop last year, both "new" per the shop owner. He had them priced at $750 each and I did not jump on them the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time I was in the shop....As you can guess I go down to get them and both have left the building. OUCH one more kick.

I'll just be happy with the 444XLR I had and the 1895CB I found this year for a steal.

March13 020.JPG March13 022.JPG iPHONE 034.JPG

Reactions: jmfox3

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a listing on Armslist for 2 XLRs, one is 444 and the other is a 45-70. He's listing $2595 for both.

·
Registered
473 Posts
jmfox3,
I love the SBL lever. I had bought it with the curved trigger guard plate to convert my 1895GS over to a SBL style pistol grip...Well I tried the SBL lever on the XLR and it refused to come off. Looks like I'll have to order another for the Guide gun since the XLR will not give it up. Now if I can find a longer mag tube for the XLR and put a XS sights Lever rail on it may then be happy. I'll call it the XLSBL.

Ken

Reactions: MIRedneck
1 - 8 of 8 Posts