Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the form and a new owner of a 1895 XLR chambered in 45-70 GOV. The gun is used and was handed down to my by my girlfriends father. I'm a relatively inexperienced re-loader I've been doing it for about a year now and I reload for my 300 win mag, 30-06 and 243 win. I have purchased the Lee dies for the 45-70 and the factory crimp die. I have some Winchester un-fired brass and CCI large rifle primers and some RE-7. Only thing I had trouble finding were bullets. I traveled to the next town from me and was sold some Barnes 400 grain soft point semi spritzer bullets. I had question about the semi spritzer tip and safety of them in the tubular magazine. I was told that they would not be a problem so I purchased. When i got home I started on the Barnes site looking for some start load data and found that Barnes does not show this bullet's load data for the 1895 45-70. That is when I noticed these bullets don't have a crimp grove.

Sorry about the long winded explanation but i wanted to give my back ground. So my questions are, is this bullet safe to load for the 1895 45-70 and can I use the factory crimp die on this bullet.

Thanks in advanced, and please let me know if I should be posting this in different form on this site.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If they are like these: Barnes Original Bullets 45-70 Government (458 Diameter) 300 Grain , I'd say absolutely NOT! :vollkommenauf: (in fact, there's a "Do not use in tubular magazines" disclaimer at the bottom of the tech info!) You'll need a bullet with a meplat wider than the primer or you're liable to have a chain-fire in the magazine tube. They'll work just fine if you are shooting the rifle loading one round at a time, but don't put those pointy bullets in an in-line magazine!

There are LOTS of bullets available on-line for this cartridge.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The dufus that recommended those is.........well.....obviously wrong !
Many reloaders have messed things up with the "Help" of gunstore advice.
When you ask questions be sure and specify lever action....that changes a lot of variables.
You can shoot those in your rifle one at a time loaded directly into the chamber by hand......go for it.
Yes.....you can crimp them .
Post a picture of one of them.....then we can tell a lot more

·
Registered
903 Posts
If this is the bullet, you have one made for the .458 Winchester. It has an .032 jacket and is not useful in lever actions.......not to mention the spitzer tip.

Orig_457030.jpg

You can still use the slugs if you flatten the tip with a file.........expansion might be "iffy".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are the bullets you all are correct, I will try to return these bullets. I would only be shooting at the range for load development to hunt with so single feeding would not benefit me. smokinjoe, you mentioned flattening the tip.... have you ever done that in the past? What where the results?

If I were crimp these bullets are there any tips or suggestions. I have never crimped before as I don't do it for my 30-06, 300 win or 243.

Thanks for your responses :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'm not smokinjoe, but I've flattened tips of bullets before. The only way to properly do it is supported exactly upright and square in a Horizontal Mill. Even then, as careful as I was, the accuracy was horrible. Personally, if I had it to do over, I'd use a metal lathe..................or not do it at all. Too much effort when you will more than likely be able to exhange them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
flattening the tip.... have you ever done that in the past? What where the results?
I've done it for several different slugs. It's obviously not the best answer but it works. Results were no better or worse than other bullets.........this is not a bench rest platform, it's a lever action rifle. If you crimp, you'll probably need a Factory Crimp Die like Lee sells.
Truth is, I'd trade them to someone who can use them or return them to the jerk that sold them to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I returned the bullets for 400 gain flat nose, thanks for the help... about the crimping how will i know if i have enough crimp? I also assume that the crimp will affect the pressure created...

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I returned the bullets for 400 gain flat nose, thanks for the help... about the crimping how will i know if i have enough crimp? I also assume that the crimp will affect the pressure created...
A good crimp increases starting pressure keeping things a bit more consistent overall. Just a nice roll crimp with minimum pressure is all you need. You will see the edge of the case pushed nicely into the groove. Its not a big noticeable thing.

·
Premium Member
16,633 Posts
Hey Newfie,

Welcome to MO.

For crimping, and the Lee FCD works well on jacketed bullets, especially used as a separate step after seating.

Using a "dummy" round, adjust die "down" until it just "kisses". Lower ram a touch. Adjust die "down" about 1/16 of a turn. Repeat as needed.

With second "dummy" round, one should "feel" between five to ten pounds of "resistance", on the handle of press. Any more, and you may "deform" the bullet.

Later, Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts