Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of the new 1895 SBL Trappers? I been wanting one ever since I passed on the original STP a long time ago (back then it was selling for $500)! Been looking for a beater 1895 to cut down to 16.5", but if these are good, might just get a new one and not cut up a perfectly good rifle! Thanks for the info in advance!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I've had somewhat of an interest in one of the new Trappers. Just waiting for a deal that no one could pass up.

Reactions: 1895LeverFan

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I would rather build my own using a JM host. I did that last year for less than what the new Remlin sells for.
kingstrider, where did you pick up the host gun and who did the work to come I under remlin cost? I have looked for a good host gun for a while and they are just way expensive because they are JM guns. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
I am not sure what your budget is but you will almost always pay top dollar on the auction sites regardless of model. The sellers usually price guns based on what similar models have sold for and you also have the disadvantage of competing against other buyers. Occasionally you can find a good deal but I have had much better luck buying guns on armslist and various gun forums by placing a wanted ad.

Since you asked, I bought the host 1895GS here a few years ago from another MO member but have bought two more within the last 6 months for less than an equivalent Remlin goes for. One was purchased here on MO and the other was found on a different gun forum. As for gunsmithing my guy charged $150 to chop the barrel to 16" and thread it for a suppressor. This included moving the front sight and making a hidden thread protector but a simple cut & crown should only run you $50 or so.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I am not sure what your budget is but you will almost always pay top dollar on the auction sites regardless of model. The sellers usually price guns based on what similar models have sold for and you also have the disadvantage of competing against other buyers. Occasionally you can find a good deal but I have had much better luck buying guns on armslist and various gun forums by placing a wanted ad.

Since you asked, I bought the host 1895GS here a few years ago from another MO member but have bought two more within the last 6 months for less than an equivalent Remlin goes for. One was purchased here on MO and the other was found on a different gun forum. As for gunsmithing my guy charged $150 to chop the barrel to 16" and thread it for a suppressor. This included moving the front sight and making a hidden thread protector but a simple cut & crown should only run you $50 or so.

Three beauties there you have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have one of the new 1895 SBL Trappers? I been wanting one ever since I passed on the original STP a long time ago (back then it was selling for $500)! Been looking for a beater 1895 to cut down to 16.5", but if these are good, might just get a new one and not cut up a perfectly good rifle! Thanks for the info in advance!
I have a late model 1895SBL. Fit and finish were fair. Some sharp edges on loop, and loading gate was horrendously sharp. After a full disassembly, and cleaning out the metal shavings the factory left behind, it functioned well. The forearm attachment gizmo is junk, but the rest of the gun was fine.

I installed a Wild West Trigger kit, along with an aluminum mag follower. Dropped the trigger pull from 7lbs to 3lbs. I put the Ranger Point Precision loading gate on her, and their quick take down screw. Both great items and much needed.

I mounted a Burris 2-7X32 Scout scope on it, and am very happy with it. I never owned a JM gun to compare it to, but I am very happy with it, after making the modifications. I do own old Brownings rifles and shotguns, an original Freedom Arms 454 Casull, a Wilson 1911 and several more firearms, so I am familiar with quality firearms.

The rifle is heading for a severely damp climate, 128” avg per year of rain, to hunt pigs. For the money to value relationship, I’m happy with it.

If I were buying another Marlin, I’d at least drop the lever and pull the bolt out. Bring a good bore light and inspect it throughly. Look at all the edges and angles of the rifle, to see if everything looks square and mounted correctly.

I am surprised at the recommendations to take a JM and cut it down, since they have such a following. Seems like more people would want to modify a Remlin and make it work. Different strokes. Anyway the pictures below were at 100 yards, using a Noe 350g cast bullet with 4198. Good luck with your quest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one of the new Trapper models. I have no major complaints. Fit and finish are acceptable.

The stainless finish is not the same as the SBL though. The SBL is more polished, while the Trapper is more of a matte finish. I like the matte better, but the exterior of my receiver started to rust almost immediately. Keep it oiled!

Also, I hate the wood. That paint is fugly and provides no traction at all if your hands are even a bit moist.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I am considering a Henry All Weather though they are a little over 18" barrel length and one brand new could be had for 800.00ish. Just a thought, all the ones posted here in this thread are beauties and would be proud to own any of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.