Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a cba had it ordered through long hunters and had an action job and had it color case hardened gun came out beautiful but when I picked it up from my ffl I was looking it over and noticed there is only scratches where ther should be rifling and what looked at another gun like mine and it has very pronounced rifling haven't had a chance to shoot it yet has anyone dealt with this the gun is new but is dated to Jan 17 the last two pictures are the gun from walmart that looks to have good rifling

Attachments

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Give it a good, down to bare steel cleaning first. Fire 10 rounds of your chosen ammunition to season the barrel. Then do some target work. The rifling in my 2008 1894SS is so shallow as to be scary, I was initially concerned. But the old girl shoots like a laser beam. Every time I clean it I see that shallow rifling, and smile.

Don't make any judgements until you shoot it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
22,157 Posts
Give it a good, down to bare steel cleaning first. Fire 10 rounds of your chosen ammunition to season the barrel. Then do some target work. The rifling in my 1894 is so shallow as to be scary, I was initially concerned. The old girl shoots like a laser beam. Every time I clean it I see that shallow rifling, and smile.

Don't make any judgements until you shoot it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
:dito:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and that's good to hear after spending as much as I did I will try that and post back on here I really didnt want to send it back as this one was one of the barrels that slipped through without the warning markings rolled on oh and heres some pictures of the gun if anyone is looking at getting theres case hardened by long hunters

Attachments

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Thanks and that's good to hear after spending as much as I did I will try that and post back on here I really didnt want to send it back as this one was one of the barrels that slipped through without the warning markings rolled on oh and heres some pictures of the gun if anyone is looking at getting theres case hardened by long hunters
Get a good quality .459" or .460" cast bullet by a reputable manufacturer, and keep velocity moderate. Good luck, post results.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have slugged the barrel on my 1894 44Mag built in 1978. The rifling is not .001 to .002 deep. it's .004 deep. I think when they came up with this rifling style they couldn't really call it multi groove rifling because most rifling is multi groove. They needed to call it something to be different. Micro groove sounded better. Leo

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a Anschutz .22 rf mag that has micro groove rifling, the first time I saw it, it frightened me it looked almost smooth. I have had that rifle many years now and it still looks as smooth and it is still the most accurate rifle I own. Shoot it and see Gar.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Always looking to hunch on early Ohio deer laws when it was smooth bore only. We took a 98 Mauser 8mm barrel and bored it to 35cal wiping out the riflings. We spent a lot of time lapping barrel. Our equippment avaible was crude but we got it done. We used 8mm brass necked up to .362, we didn't hit our 358 mark. We modified a 357 mold to get our bullets. We went through major PIA rigging dies to seat bullets. After about two months of spare time invested by 3 of us the project was a bust. We couldn't keep them on a 4'x4' at 50yds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got 4 Marlin Lever Guns..336-.30-30, circa 1965, a 94 - .357 Mag Circa 1980ish, 95 .45-70, circa 2019 and 94, .44 Magnum recent. Both my early Marlins are perfect .. .44 Mag and .45-70 have some issues..Not shot them yet but fit and finish isn't what I expected ..I rather bought used JM guns than the Remicraptons any day..No comparison.😟

·
Registered
66 Posts
In 2015 I bought a Remlin GBL .45-70, and it came with very shallow rifling, but everything else was well fitted (except it came with the wrong front sight) I got the correct front sight from them at N/C and it shoots great. I've kept it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just picked up a .44 Cowboy Limited. The rifling is a cluster. It's extremely shallow and it appears the centre of the reamer was not in line with the centre of the reamed bore when drawn. The result is the rifling is deeper on one side of the bore and more shallow on the other. One of the 6 'lands' seems MIA. Haven't shot it yet but will report back when I do. I'll scope it to make the assessment. Fingers crossed it shoots good. Picked it up for $640 and it's only had 100 or so rounds through it. IMG_7081.jpg

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I had a 95 45-70 that was micro grooved and did not shoot cast well. But back then I did not know what I knew later about shooting cast. I was also into BP cartridge and MG and BP may not get along. Where J bullets are used MG is pretty good. In 22's most velocities are very low anyway. Many have complained that the "hyper velocity" loads are not as accurate. 22 mag uses J bullets. I have a 336W with a JM marked barrel that has very rough rifling. It seems to shoot OK. It is fussy about where it hits between a hot and cold barrel. I should take it down and do a bit of work on the fore stock and rings. It gives passable 3 shot groups. I later had a 45-70CB that shot very, very well as does my 38-55 CB. Basically what I am rambling about is that one needs to shoot it to find out. I am bothered a bit about the rough rifling in the 336 and it kind of nags at me, but I don't like to sell something like that to another and it does work, but it still bothers me that it is there.

DEP

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 95 45-70 that was micro grooved and did not shoot cast well. But back then I did not know what I knew later about shooting cast. I was also into BP cartridge and MG and BP may not get along. Where J bullets are used MG is pretty good. In 22's most velocities are very low anyway. Many have complained that the "hyper velocity" loads are not as accurate. 22 mag uses J bullets. I have a 336W with a JM marked barrel that has very rough rifling. It seems to shoot OK. It is fussy about where it hits between a hot and cold barrel. I should take it down and do a bit of work on the fore stock and rings. It gives passable 3 shot groups. I later had a 45-70CB that shot very, very well as does my 38-55 CB. Basically what I am rambling about is that one needs to shoot it to find out. I am bothered a bit about the rough rifling in the 336 and it kind of nags at me, but I don't like to sell something like that to another and it does work, but it still bothers me that it is there.

DEP
Yes if my Cowboy shoots fine, I'll be happy and will just enjoy it even though I know the rifling is diabolical. If it shoots bad, I'll not be able to bring myself to sell it as I'm passing on a problem to someone else and would not want to entertain a comeback. It's pretty darned hopeless that their QC is so poor. Guess that's why they're finally going bust.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
My 2012 Remlin has deeper and more well defined rifling than my 2008 JM model. But both shoot like laser beams, cast or jacketed ammunition. Absolutely no complaints here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts