Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, my local store just received both of these models and gave me a call today. I'll be purchasing one or the other in a few days and I know I'll need to handle both of them first before I make my final decision, but I would welcome any advice from those of you who own these rifles and have more experience than I.

I live in Alaska and will be spending a lot of time this Summer prospecting creeks and mining a few claims. I would LOVE to just be able to have a sidearm in a holster as my hands will be busy, and for the areas I'll be venturing I wouldn't feel safe with anything less than a stout rifle. I'm really leaning towards the Trapper model but that SBL is the SEX am I right?!

Anyways, here's to cabin fever and fevered dreams! :beerglass:

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
For over all length and weight you will like the trapper. It will be a bit lighter than the SBL as well due to the SBL having a laminate stock and the new trappers have painted wood. But you are correct, the SBL is definitely the "looker" of the bunch!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I wanted an SBL (still want one), but here in NJ it's darn near impossible to find one - so I bought a Trapper that was in stock at my LGS.

I love the Trapper's size, and the Skinner sights.
I'm not a fan of the painted stock, and may someday swap it for the laminated wood (saw one thread here where a member did that).

If you DO NOT want to put a scope on it - get the Trapper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your insight! I'm pretty sold on the Trapper for many reasons, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some glaring issue I was missing before I pull a $1000 trigger. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I absolutely love my Trapper. It was made in late October of 2019 and I bought it brand new the first week of January this year. I just put the black and grey and black laminate Marlin stock and forearm (same as the SBL) on it today. It looks much better than the black painted wood, but there was nothing wrong with the black painted wood. It is a very nimble rifle and is quick on target and follow up shots.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I also live in Alaska and bought the Trapper about a year ago. For the uses that you are describing, the Trapper is the way to go. It is not about looks, it’s about function. If you are buying something to hang over the mantle, go for looks.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
MJH, As someone taught me a long time ago, sometimes it's form over function and sometimes it's function over form. I've used this adage many times when making a purchase where choices are involved. I recently purchased a new 1895 gbl and love it. I believe that if I were in your shoes, I am sure I would have seriously considered the trapper. Whatever you choose, best of luck to you !!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have an XLR, SBL, and a Trapper length 45/70 and I prefer my trapper over the other two. It's so compact and super easy to carry in the woods. Loved it so much that I just picked up the matching 44 mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I have a SBL and it is my go to rifle for hunting now over my other 1895's. It is match rifle accurate after working up a load for it. I have never handled a trapper and it is probably a good thing or uncontrolable marlinitis would probably set in and I would probably end up with one of those. Either way you go I'm sure you will be happy. You have made a wise choice up in Alaska going with either model. My grandson lives up there in Wasilla and you just don't go out wandering without some type of protection. Be sure and let us know which way you go and pictures is a must here so we can all drool a bit.

Reactions: mjh0976
1 - 10 of 10 Posts