Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for feedback on what could have caused this damage. I've only put 28 rds thought this rifle, 14 -Hornady 325 Lever-evolution & 14- 405 Ultramax. While I was cleaning, the cloth was getting snagged in this piece of metal. I thought I may have seen metal shards in the receiver while cleaning, but it could have been something else. This to me, looks like damage not something done during manufacturing. Anyone else have this issue or a picture of your receiver and what it should look like? It doesn't look like it interferes with the action or touches anything. Should I spend time dealing with Marlin about this or ignore it?

Thanks
Matt

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 10.48.23 PM.png IMG_8104.jpg IMG_8105.jpg

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
From your pictures I can't tell what I'm looking at. I can however, see that something is broken.
Send it back.

Oz.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I would send it back and have Marlin fix it. Can you take one more pic at a little more distance from the gun so we can see what we are looking at exactly. Even though I don't know what I'm looking at exactly without another picture all my Marlins do not have a receiver problem. Your definitely not shooting rounds that would damage any Marlin.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I would send it back and have Marlin fix it. Can you take one more pic at a little more distance from the gun so we can see what we are looking at exactly. Even though I don't know what I'm looking at exactly without another picture all my Marlins do not have a receiver problem. Your definitely not shooting rounds that would damage any Marlin.
:dito: And welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
17,226 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

If you have a numerical serial number give us the first 2 digits...

If it starts with MR then use this to date it...

BarrelCodes.jpg
The month letter,

B = Jan
L = Feb
A = Mar
C = Apr
K = May
P = Jun
O = Jul
W = Aug
D = Sep
E = Oct
R = Nov
X = Dec

The year letter,

E = 2010, F = 2011, G = 2012, H = 2013, I = 2014, J = 2015, K = 2016...

Then as others have said, pull back a little on the pic so we can see exactly where in the receiver it is...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a LOT of wisdom and experience here. BUT... use caution with what you read. There is also a smattering of BS here also.

One of the best things I did for my 1895 in 45-70 was sit down and spend a week stoning, filing and smoothing. In the process I assembled and disassembled it a couple of times a day. And after replacing the standard Marlin trigger with a Wild West trigger, it has become a nice little rifle to shoot. And all the "crap" I fussed about when I bought it, was put on the back burner. But I still detest the fact that Remington / Marlin is using the customers as THEIR Quality Control department.

I hope who ever is at the head of the company (s) gets heartburn every night when they lay down. And not until they fix the way they're doing things and make a public apology to all their customers that bought a rifle then weren't satisfied with it, will they get any peace.

·
Premium Member
17,015 Posts
Hey Matt,

Welcome to MO.

Is that the loading gate?

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
17,015 Posts
Hey Ferro,

Looks to be right behind the "Loading Gate" screw/spring.

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
17,226 Posts
That is indeed the area just behind the loading gate... The state of the "bent" metal in the red circle is making me question the quality of the heat treating. Also the wear where the locking bolt slides up and down, (pointed to with the white arrow I added), also indicates a lack of hardness in the metal... I'd be thinking about sending that back to Marlin for a new receiver...

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 10.48.23 PM.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm curious to know the manufacture date. OP only found 1 letter, K, on the left side of the bbl where normally there have been 2 letters for month and year. Has Marlin changed their date coding? Unfortunately a single K might signify 2016 or the month of MAY according to the chart listed on the previous page.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ray Newman, the rifle was purchased brand new from Buds Gun Shop in Sept. I can add pictures of the barrel later. There is one letter on either side of the barrel, just before the receiver.

Marlin, was closed last week, I'll try calling tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies.
Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts