Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 1895 SBL that I have been single round loading for quite awhile. The rifle is very accurate with several different bullets. I recently tried loading the magazine tube and feeding the gun by working the lever. If the lever is manipulated slowly it will eject the spent case but will hang up when trying yo bring the lever back rearward. A little jiggle and the lever moves along and the cartridge is feed into the chamber. If the lever is worked quickly (briskly) everything works fine but if you cycle it slowly it will hang up every time.

Where should I look for the problem?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Doesn't sound like a problem Charlie. Someone more experienced may weigh in but I've found it typically takes more than a slow cycle to work smoothly. Give 'er! As my Canadian friends like to say:). Matt

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Charlie-NY said:
I've got an 1895 SBL that I have been single round loading for quite awhile. The rifle is very accurate with several different bullets. I recently tried loading the magazine tube and feeding the gun by working the lever. If the lever is manipulated slowly it will eject the spent case but will hang up when trying yo bring the lever back rearward. A little jiggle and the lever moves along and the cartridge is feed into the chamber. If the lever is worked quickly (briskly) everything works fine but if you cycle it slowly it will hang up every time.

Where should I look for the problem?

This sounds like the problem Charlie! http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,51618.0.html Give it a good read and if this is it you can fix it in less time it takes to read it! :D

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Lever Addict may be correct,in looking at the extractor, but I'd also look at the carrier rocker if the same thing happens without a cartridge on the carrier. Sometimes, the leading edge of the rocker needs a little radius on the corner.

Tom

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Sometimes, when working the lever VERY slowly the round will bind up and not want to feed and it takes a snap or two of the lever to sort things out. Remember, when the lever is fully thrown the round is more or less just loose in the receiver. But, that said, I can work the actions on all my Marlin levers pretty darn slow and with minimal effort.

Make sure all your screws are tight, specifically the carrier screw and the loading gate screw. They don't have to be torqued down to a million foot-pounds, just snugged up.

Without seeing/feeling the action it is always hard to say. You say it works fine when cycled quickly. Does that mean it feeds smooth or is some force required along with being quick?

Do the rounds show any scraping or scratching?

Does it cycle just fine when single loading through the ejection port? What about if no rounds are used at all and just "dry" cycling?

Does the carrier pop right back down when you start the lever coming back? You can see the tab sticking out of the bottom of the receiver.

Does a new round pop from the tube fully into the receiver?

Just some questions to help us narrow in on some things. It may well be like Matt said and be perfectly normal or it might be one of the things LA or Tomray mentioned. Or it might be something altogether different so more details will help us give more focused input.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomray said:
Lever Addict may be correct,in looking at the extractor, but I'd also look at the carrier rocker if the same thing happens without a cartridge on the carrier. Sometimes, the leading edge of the rocker needs a little radius on the corner.
Tom
UPDATE: I took another look at the rifle after reading your posts (thanks). The rifle will hang up even when there is no cartridge in the receiver or magazine tube. Here's what happens:

With the gun empty and the lever in the full forward position; the lever will move rearward just enough for the elevator (is this the "carrier"?) to raise up to align with the chamber and then the lever will get stuck. Adding force doesn't work until you use a fair amount of pressure or give the lever a little slap with your hand. Then the lever is freed from whatever is holding it and closes up normally. This condition will present itself every time if working the lever slowly. Working the lever to & fro briskly will not allow the lever to get stuck.

Are there any images of the "carrier rocker" om MO or where to radius the edge?

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts