Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
New out of the box 1895SBL. Rear sight can only be adjusted for windage, not elevation. XS lever rail with ghost ring rear sight and front sight post.
they are adjustable for elevation. Loosen the set screw on the side and turn the peep up or down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, so if I can't lower the rear aperature any more (it's as low as it will go), then what? Again, I appreciate any positive helpful responses, thanks all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would give XS sights a call on Monday and see what they recommend. They are great people to deal with and very friendly. I expect they can recommend the proper height front sight for your application.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good advice was given on how to adjust the rear sight. I have an SBL and its a tack driver. Take her out again and try different types of ammo or if you reload try different powder and bullet charges. These thing love to be pampered by their owner and they most certainly have a sweet spot for a certain bullet and velocity. Good luck and let us know how your coming along.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All advice on elevation is good. If you’re maxed out, you may need a taller front ramp. One more issue with windage adjustment. I have an 1895 SBL with Skinner Trapper sight. The forward mounting hole, on the receiver was tapped .024” left of center on the bore axis. This introduces parallax at distance shorter or longer than your zero distance. The logical fix would be to send it to a service center and have it redrilled. There isn’t much room to do this. My fix was to have a machinist slot the forward hole in the sight base, similar to how the rear hole is slotted. This allows me to center the sight base and remove the parallax. Works perfectly. I will post a pick if I can figure out how.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got the rear XS Ghost ring sight adjusted for elevation today, and very happy with the results! Still disappointed that a thousand dollar rifle wasn't at least hitting paper out of the box, but it's a moot point now. Much appreciation to the members of the Marlinowners group who gave helpful, positive, and encouraging suggestions - and a tip of the hat to JACKTW.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Forgot to mention to you that I sighted mine in with iron sights but my tired old eyes required that I use a scope so mounted one using the Leupold QD rings. Friends can't believe how accurate this rifle is. If I get into the right hunting situation I can remove the scope and use the irons. When I re-install the scope back into the same spot it never loses the POI. Love this thing.

Reactions: Edward589
21 - 29 of 29 Posts