Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot. I just bought an 1895 SBL and took it to the range for the first time. Put 6 rounds through it at 50 yards, out of the box open sights, and not a single round hit paper! Had my buddy shoot it and got the same result (or lack thereof)! After about 15 rds we figured out it was shooting about 9" high and to the right. We are both experienced shooters, shooting from a bench, factory ammo (Winchester Super X, 300gr, jacketed hollow points). This is my first Marlin since a Model 70 .22 I had years ago, and I know Marlin has a great reputation so I'm not questioning the quality of their products, but just curious if this sounds odd for a 45-70 and any ideas on what would cause the accuracy to be so far out of whack??? Thanks in advance for your responses and or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The only reason I ask is because to me accuracy is repeatability. So if the gun is always shooting off the target in the same spot it’s accurate. But needs adjustment. If it can’t be adjusted to hit where you want it to hit, you then have an issue. Whether it be a sight system that isn’t going to work for you or something is wrong.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio. Is this is new rifle or a used one?

Post a photo of your front and rear sights, from the side and from the top. Perhaps they are out of adjustment. Once we see them, maybe we can make suggestions.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Get a bigger piece of cardboard so you can track your groups or at least see where you are actually hitting.

Welcome to the site, the folk here will get you on target.

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New out of the box 1895SBL. Rear sight can only be adjusted for windage, not elevation. XS lever rail with ghost ring rear sight and front sight post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once we figured out where we were hitting, it was about a three inch group. 9” high and about 1-2” right. Didn’t have a large target ‘cause I didn’t think I’d need to sight it in like a scope, just wanted to throw some rounds down range! Didn’t think I’d have any issue hitting a target at 50 yards with iron sights!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
New out of the box 1895SBL. Rear sight can only be adjusted for windage, not elevation. XS lever rail with ghost ring rear sight and front sight post.
I am unfamiliar with that exact model but I think most 1895s have buckhorn sights. If so you can drift the sight in the dovetail for windage. If I were a betting man remlin just slaps them in the dovetail giving it the eyeball treatment.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The rear sight is easily adjustable for elevation. Loosen the small set screw on the right of the sight base, screw peep in or out to lower or raise, re-tighten the set screw. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rear sight can be adjusted for elevation, loosen like you would for windage just rotate the aperture clock wise to
lower, counter clockwise to raise.
Yup, what he says. Rear sight is adjustable up, down and left and right. Just remember to move the rear sight in the direction you want your impact point to move. You want to group to move left, move the rear sight left and so on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always clean my rifles before shooting them. Many manufacturers put packing grease in the barrel to prevent rust. My 45-70 SBL did not like Win X 300 grain ammo, it was a big group at 100 yards. Get some Hornady 325 grain factory FTX LEVERevolution, that ammo consistently prints an inch or less at 100 yards for me, this is with a scope. If you weren’t hitting paper after the 1st shot, why would you shoot more? Set that target up at 20 yds or less for the 1st shot with a big target, then sight the rifle in according to the manuals instructions. I don't think Remington sights their rifles in before sending them out. I'm in no way trying to put you down, but to me, this sounds like user error and not accuracy issues with your rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pisgah - And there it is. Knew I was bound to get a smart ass answer sooner or later. There’s always at least one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate your input on the ammo, BuckDoeHunter. I do plan on shooting the Hornadys next time I head to the range. Was just seeking HELPFUL input here in the mean time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
As others have stated, cleaning the rifle and inspecting it is the first thing I do with a new gun. They tend to come with various oils/greases all over inside to help protect them during shipping and from rust.

When I initially go to the range with a new rifle I setup at 25 yds to get on paper and make an adjustment after the fist shot if needed. That saves a lot of ammo in the end for cases like what you ran into where it's off the paper. After that initial shot and adjustment I will fire another shot to confirm before I move it out to my desired range of either 50yds or 100yds to get it dialed in.

Iron sites are not easy to get good accuracy out of but by far from impossible. Plenty of people shooting great groups with iron sights. Try some other types of ammo and see what your rifle prefers. Congrats on the new rifle and enjoy!

·
Administrator
27,722 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners, Edward. You've received some great advice so give it another go and be sure to report your results to this thread.

Jack

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Edward, welcome from Western NY! I too have a 1895 SBL. Great shooting rifle and fun. I have a Scout Scope on mine with guick detach rings. Easy to switch back and forth between scope and aperture sights.

Padraig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts