Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently broke down and purchased a NIB 1895. It just came in so it's a newly manufactured riffle. I'm a little concerned about what I've read on this forum concerning the reciever being cracked where the mag tube meets it. Is this still an ongoing problem or has Remlin fixed it? BTW, the metal and wood finish on this rifle is not as good as on my 1990s 336CS in 30-30. But I don't mind, I did not buy it to be a gun safe queen. I bought it to shoot and hunt.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Did you buy it at a LGS or on the Internet? As with any rifle (new or used) the best insurance in getting a first quality firearm is to examine it in person.

As far as cracked receivers, I have not read of any reports of that problem lately, but I am not the final word. Be sure to give your new toy a good inspection inside the chamber and cartridge handling areas. Also, check the cycling of the lever. It should be smooth and not hang up anywhere in the cycle. New guns are going to feel "tight" but should get smoother the more you used it. Get down the range ASAP to make sure it works properly. If you wait too long and then run into a problem, you will not be able to return it as "defective" to where you bought it.

Remlins have been hit or miss lately, previously they were all miss. Apparently the new CEO is making an effort to get the QC on track.

Mike T

Reactions: levernator

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked it up at a gun show I went to with my son. Where I live everyone is into "black riffles" and lever actions don't sell much, especially big bore ones so I got a chance to compare several sitting in stores. Anyway, I pawed a couple at LGS and could not pass up the $65 savings over the next best price. I have cycled a few rounds and I am very impressed with how smooth and effortlessly it chambers and chucks out those big rounds..... every bit as smooth as my old 336CS. Can't wait to get in some range time with it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
As long as you got to see it, handle it and cycle it, you should be good to go! However, the biggest problem I see is what I DON'T see....PICS!!!! :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts