Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have just acquired 1895Marlin SN 170791 .45-70 rifle, it appears the caliber marking was originally 40-82 but the last three numbers have been overstamped, making it 45-70. The overstamping is so perfectly done that to me it looks like factory work, but I've been told that it's much more likely to have been done by a smith in Montrose, CO, who rebored a lot of rifle barrels in the past. If so, his dies and alignment were dead perfect - and the bore looks perfect also. Would appreciate information on this smith, also info on how to get a factory letter on this rifle, and any other comments you guys may have. Thanks and best wishes - Ben Wolcott, Mancos, Colorado

Have posted pictures below. After magnification by the camera, the overstamping does not look like factory work, probably the Montrose, CO, smith is whodunnit. Anyhow, all comments and information will be appreciated. Also, the back sight on the barrel is not an original, does anyone have a spare early Marlin 3-5/8" rear sight and elevator? (The front sight isn't original either, but I have a correct one that will be installed. Thanks to all - Ben Wolcott, Mancos, Colorado

Attachments

·
Banned
457 Posts
welcome to MO, I am sure someone much better versed in that info will be along shortly.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
One good lookin old rifle! I can't help you concerning the Colorado gunsmith but will welcome you to the world of Marlins! :top:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.