Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1895 LTD-IV with 24” octagonal barrel. Bought new from dealer many years ago (10yrs?). Out of the box, it had a trigger problem. Every 4-5 shots the trigger would lock-up tight, no wiggle or play at all and solid internal tight bind (metal on metal). Run empty action 10-12 times and it would free-up. Trigger works properly. Shoot 4-5 more rounds and lock-up tight again. Problem only occurs with ‘recoil’ never during 100s of running action and dry firing (with snap-cap).

I researched it and found a slight burr which I gently removed (file/stone). Now 10 years later at the range yesterday… the mystery trigger lock-up problem is back. Doesn’t occur unless there is recoil. What would cause trigger lock-up after recoil?
My other 1895 .45-70 I bought 35+ years ago never had this problem.
Any thoughts out there… a real dome scratcher? ???

·
Registered
671 Posts
??? A new trigger doesn't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
RAF said:
I have a 1895 LTD-IV with 24” octagonal barrel. Bought new from dealer many years ago (10yrs?). Out of the box, it had a trigger problem. Every 4-5 shots the trigger would lock-up tight, no wiggle or play at all and solid internal tight bind (metal on metal). Run empty action 10-12 times and it would free-up. Trigger works properly. Shoot 4-5 more rounds and lock-up tight again. Problem only occurs with ‘recoil’ never during 100s of running action and dry firing (with snap-cap).

I researched it and found a slight burr which I gently removed (file/stone). Now 10 years later at the range yesterday… the mystery trigger lock-up problem is back. Doesn’t occur unless there is recoil. What would cause trigger lock-up after recoil?
My other 1895 .45-70 I bought 35+ years ago never had this problem.
Any thoughts out there… a real dome scratcher? ???

Sounds to me that you're not getting the lever completely closed, to defeat the trigger latch..........

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Tom, but it's not the trigger latch. Engaged or not, my trigger still has that Marlin 1/8" trigger play. I'm use to it and expect it.

During my problem lock-up, the trigger is 'solid' like it's welded in place, zero movement, tight as a wedge. I've shot 1895s since 1974 and know that external operation and feel blindfolded.
I'm stumped and might have to find a good gunsmith or send it to Marlin for repair. ???

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The next time the trigger locks up, before you cycle the action, try to cock the hammer by hand just to see what happens. Since the hammer and trigger make contact with each other, maybe the hammer or sear is binding somehow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Doc,
Excellent idea, I hadn't thought of cking that hammer.
I'll try your idea next time I'm at the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts