Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1895 LTD-III 45-70 number III006XX. What time frame was it made?

What I'm asking is what to expect first time shooting it. What round will be somewhat easy on my 67 year old shoulder.
Are they accurate to shoot at 50 yards?

Are the short barrels a negative or does it really mater that much?

I put the gun up to my shoulder and love how the gun feels.
I was going to put sights on it but going to keep what it has, it in very good condition.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Congrats on that rifle! The 45-70 factory ammo is pretty tame for the most part. If you can find it, the Remington with the 405gr would be an excellent start. The Hornady Lever Evolution stuff is hotter, but still not bad on the shoulder. If you reload, this is one cartridge you should be since you can load it from mild to wild. The short barrels are not a negative, you get a little less fps, but it will hit hard. Fifty yards is very close range for the rifle, it should shoot very well at that range. You should be able to take it out to 150-200yds without much difficulty.
I don't have the DOM since it's a Remington made Marlin, but someone should be by with a link for you soon!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome aboard loiblb!
Nice to see you have my next Marlin. I'm just a little envious.
I think the LTDIII is the smartest looking of any regular or limited production Marlin in history. If I would have known they existed before I bought my GS, I would have waited until I found the III.
Enjoy your 1895 and remember you don't have to beat yourself up with heavy loads.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for it? Think about that question before you answer. If you tell me $300 and a steak dinner, I'm going to be sick.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
The LIMITED III is not Remington production. It is a true "JM" Marlin.
Stay with the factory Remington ammo which is a tame 1350 fps velocity.
Hand loaded you can slow it even more for less recoil or put a slip on recoil pad just for the range.
The slip on pad will keep the rifle bone stock as it is quite collectable.

1895LTD III .45-70 Blued, ballard rifling 18.5" Full octagon barrel. Straight grip walnut stocks. Special run by Marlin for Davidsons 1001 made, made in 1999.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Oops, for some reason I was thinking of the NEW Marlin limited for Cabela's with the 18.5" octagon bbl! Don't know WHAT I was thinking! :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hey loiblb, congratulations on having such a beautiful Marlin. We would like to see some pictures of it.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Black Hills Ammunition used to make some cowboy level ammunition that was pretty mild, maybe even milder than the Rem 405 factory stuff. The Black Hills stuff was around 1250fps with 405gr cast bullets. I bought one box when I first got my CB and it was a real pleasure to shoot. Now my handloads mimick that ammunition for fun shooting with longer sessions at the range. It would be even better for the short barrel LTD than the 26" CB model. Less rifle weight = more felt recoil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need help.. on the left side of the receiver on the 45-70 how best to deal with 5 or 6 rust spots size little bigger then a grain of sand on the 45-70?
Also the walnut has lost it's luster but not damaged.

The rifle came to me by way of my cousin passing away. He passed down a super mint Winchester 9422 that just can't bring my self to shoot. His well used non cross bolt 336 30/30 and this 45-70 and two well used Marlin 55 goose guns. The rifles were in storage in Washington state. Wet conditions but the guns made there way to Texas with only a few tiny little spots of rust on the 45-70.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
A little oil and 0000 steel wool lightly rubbed will remove that rust.

Congrats on a fine little Marlin.... It's my favorite of the 1895's!!!! :)

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
PS
Don't hide that 9422 away in some dark hole! Take it out and Enjoy it, after all it was meant to be shot, not displayed or rubbed up against!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
loiblb, if you put that 9422 in a safe it will eventually get scratched or dinged and you will have lost many enjoyable moments with it trying to protect it. been there done that. jmho

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
you sir, have got yourself one heck of a nice gun and you should enjoy the heck out of it! welcome to the shoulder mounted light artillery! click ... click... BOOOM!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so my 45-70 has "Ballard" rifling, what does that mean to me as a shooter?

The barrel still has lands & grooves but not Marlins Microgroove rifling?
Dose this provides better bullet performance?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
OK, so my 45-70 has "Ballard" rifling, what does that mean to me as a shooter?

The barrel still has lands & grooves but not Marlins Microgroove rifling?
Dose this provides better bullet performance?

Thanx
Nothing, it means nothing at all. Marlin used it as an advertising gimmick back in the 50's and kept the Microgroove until the 90's or so. Microgroove is a button rifling method where as Ballard rifling is a cut rifling method. The whiners and naysayers argue endlessly over which is better. To the informed shooter it means nothing. It's much like the "controlled feed vs. push feed" argument in bolt rifles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts