Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this earlier in the wrong area ( 1894) --mod's, please forgive me.

I'm looking at an 1895 LTD. in 45-70 with a serial # of DFC0050x--that's all the info. I have for now. Don't know if it has the JM on the barrel or not--trying to find that out.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a Remlin or if they can date the gun by the serial #--thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
The 1895 LTD's are all made by Marlin.....

Here's the differences between the 4 different LTD models:

---LTD I
24" half octagon barrel, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering
Mfg. in 1997, 2001 rifles made

---LTD II
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, pistol grip with checkering, Mfg. in 1997, 2001 rifles made

---LTD III
18.5" tapered octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering.... Mfg. in 1999, 1001 rifles made

---LTD IV
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering....Mfg. in 2000, 1001 rifles made

Reactions: scott fisher

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
six_gunz said:
The 1895 LTD's are all made by Marlin.....

Here's the differences between the 4 different LTD models:

---LTD I
24" half octagon barrel, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering
Mfg. in 1997, 2001 rifles made

---LTD II
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, pistol grip with checkering, Mfg. in 1997, 2001 rifles made

---LTD III
18.5" tapered octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering.... Mfg. in 1999, 1001 rifles made

---LTD IV
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full magazine, straight grip, no checkering....Mfg. in 2000, 1001 rifles made

Six- Guns--

You're my hero ;D ;D ;D--thank you very much--exactly what I needed to know--you're the best.

Thank you very much,

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
The LTD V had a half octogan/half round 24" barrel, full mag, and pistol grip with checkering. I believe that 1001 of these were made in 2001. Here's a pic I borrowed some time ago showing the full line.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Bruiser said:
I did a little research and I think you are looking at a LTD I. The LTD I seems to start with DFC. The LTD II seems to start with LTD. The LTD V seems to start with a V.

BTW, the entire LTD I-V series was made by Marlin in CT.

Some more info here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,64649.0.html

-Bob George

I owned an LTD III at one point and time....IIRC the serial # started with III

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info., links, and photos--the half octagon/half round models are somewhat nostalgic in appearance--like the old days.

I've read different people saying that they think the LTD series are the best guns Marlin ever made--what do you think ? Are they different than other Marlins, do they shoot any better, are they more accurate--trying to learn something new .

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a LTD-V new in the box a few years ago. It is the most accurate lever action rifle I have ever shot with both Hornady jacket bullets and cast lead. Most loads are under 1.5 inches at 100 yards and several loads will print 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
The action was very smooth at time of purchase and have not had any feeding problems even with very blunt nose cast bullets. Trigger did have take up creep, but broke very clean at 4 pounds right out of the box. Finish was very good on both metal and wood. I would not sell it for three times the price I paid for it. ;D

·
Registered
204 Posts
This thread is TWO years old!

The LTD III with its shorter barrel would be the best brush gun.

All of the other LTD's are basically the same gun.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ltd II here, haven't had a chance to try it hunting yet. Took it to the William's store and had them put firesights and a scope on it. I am finding out the hard way that the scope is royally out. Going shooting sunday going to try just the firesights and i have a feeling it will go better. I bought it with it only having 10 rounds put through it and then it was stored in a safe until i bought it this spring. My first shot with the scope hit me right in the eyebrow lol. I have put 150 rounds through it since i bought it and am enjoying it immensely. I cannot wait til deer season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts