Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run into trouble when loading a full 4+1 with the last round getting hung up halfway out of the mag tube? Two instances today where i had to remove the lever to unstick it. There was tension on the lever screw making it very difficult to remove. Factory winchester and federal hammerdown ammo both did it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Based on that explanation, reason would say it would happen if you only load and then try to chamber a single round. So, if it just happens with a single round in the tube (I.e. the last one), and doesn’t happen with the first three on a full tube, it could be that the magazine tube spring is weak and not giving it enough of a push out. The extra rounds would increase the spring tension and have a bit more force pushing them out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on that explanation, reason would say it would happen if you only load and then try to chamber a single round. So, if it just happens with a single round in the tube (I.e. the last one), and doesn’t happen with the first three on a full tube, it could be that the magazine tube spring is weak and not giving it enough of a push out. The extra rounds would increase the spring tension and have a bit more force pushing them out.
The gun is new (37 rounds through it), but was built in 2019. Unsure if sitting that long would weaken the spring, but that would make sense. As soon as the lever is removed the round falls free and is easily removed. My other thought is that it needs to be broken in and/or deburred or slicked.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
...I would doubt that the limited use of the rifle is the reason for the weakening of the spring which, if guilty of the malfunction, would simply appear somehow factory defective.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The gun is new (37 rounds through it), but was built in 2019. Unsure if sitting that long would weaken the spring, but that would make sense. As soon as the lever is removed the round falls free and is easily removed. My other thought is that it needs to be broken in and/or deburred or slicked.
The thing is, if, as you indicate, this only happens with the “last round,” then there aren’t many other things that could cause the issue you’re having. If it is cycling the first three just fine then it isn’t your lifter or other various things causing the issue. Try to confirm it’s only the last round. Just put one in the tube and cycle it. Repeat this process and confirm that this is the only time it happens. If that’s the case, and it won’t happen if you stuff more rounds in the tube, I can’t think of anything other than spring tension. In this scenario, there is pretty much no other piece that would factor into the malfunction. Key is to isolate the variables first, then the problem becomes apparent. Likely the spring isn’t worn (I have 100 year old Marlins that have never seen a new spring) and more so a factory defect, which happens. Maybe someone along the way cut a couple coils thinking they were making loading easier. Ya never know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’m with NickMc. The rephrase his question a bit, what happens if you just stuff one cartridge in the tube, will it feed and chamber? What if you try with 2?

The answer only kinda matters. The first thing to do is pull the spring and follower and clean everything including the inside of the magazine tube. Reassemble and try again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your cartridge follower may be sticking near the frame. pull the mag tube spring and follower. put just the follower in the tube tip the rifle so it slides slow down the tube. see if it binds . make sure it goes all the way down.
If you push open the loading gate with the mag empty and lever closed, you should be able to see the end of the mag follower. If you can't, there is something jamming in the mag tube. As the rifle is near-new it would probably be a good move to remove the forewood and mag tube etc. to check things out anyway as suggested above.
Regards,
P.S. Mind you don't cut, lacerate, pinch, jam or otherwise mutilate a digit when messing with the loading gate.The burrs and sharp edges are ''Deadlier than Arkwright's Till'' on new rifles ex factory.
P.P.S. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see the follower and it appears to be seated. Doesnt mean its not dragging on something and not pushing the round as fast as it should i guess. Ill disassemble and clean/lube/inspect when i get some free time and share results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts