Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out last night and bought an 1895 GS! I have not had time too shoot it though. I am interested in Ghost ring sight, can anyone recommend what brand I should buy? I would also like to know if there are any other accessories or upgrades that you all recommend. Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
lew.45 said:
I went out last night and bought an 1895 GS! I have not had time too shoot it though. I am interested in Ghost ring sight, can anyone recommend what brand I should buy? I would also like to know if there are any other accessories or upgrades that you all recommend. Thanks!
Congrats and welcome to MO. Use the forum search function and you discover an absolute treasure trove of information. Try searching for peep sight.

You have a lot of options. :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Hi lew !

If you do not insist to get a factory original big loop lever, you could always go for a Wild West Guns ( available over MidwayUSA or Brownells ) or a DRC or other. Ghost ring sights are available over the same sources, as well as Skinner sights etc.

As far as accessories go, I bought for mine a buttstock shellholder made from leather, and a leather sling.

Pete

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats lew.45 and welcome to Marlin Owners! You can find nearly everything you need and need to know about your GS on this site![flash=200,200] :D ;)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Congrats on a great rifle! I have a GS and it's set up with an XS ghost ring sight set.
Brockman's & Wild West Guns make a nice ghost ring sight too if you're willing to throw down the cash.

Here's my GS with the XS sights......

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Lew.45,

Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!!
Congratulations!!!
You made a great choice and got yourself a fine rifle!!! 8)

As far as accessories go..
There are many!!!
It all comes down to what suits your needs best!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!! :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I really like the XS ghost ring sight system on my guide gun. Notice in six gunz pic how well the front sight stands out. It does equally well in low light situations. Here is their website:
http://www.xssights.com/

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
six_gunz said:
Congrats on a great rifle! I have a GS and it's set up with an XS ghost ring sight set.
Brockman's & Wild West Guns make a nice ghost ring sight too if you're willing to throw down the cash.

That looks to be just about the perfect GS setup right there. Someday I will wave the checkbook at my GS and that will be how I want mine.. :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ditto on that! six_gunz that is a sweet rifle. :) :D ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I called marlin today they don't have any big loop levers available right now but when they do they will be $64 I think it is $48 dealer cost. They have to be sent to a FFL though. thats alot cheaper than the wild west levers at $150. I saw another company on here that is developing a big loop lever that looks similar to the marlin factory big loop lever but cant remember the name of the company for the life of me. they say they will be about $100

·
Registered
603 Posts
six_gunz said:

i really like the contrast you have on your rifle with the blueing and stainless

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments fellas! I had fun modifying it!

Lew,

Sorry about hijacking your thread!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
One word of caution if this is your first 45-70 lever gun. Be careful who you take to the range with you, and take more ammo than you plan to shoot. I have a friend who wouldn't own a lever gun to save his life. He's a bolt gun nut. But he always asks to shoot my CB before we leave the bench. He was with me when I bought it and guffawed all the way home. Nobody ever asks to shoot his A-Bolt 30-06.

Hmmmmmm!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Hi Lew.45

Here are some of the mods I've done to my 1895gs: Wild West trigger, bear proof extractor, follower, big loop lever, XO ghost ring sights and butt cuff and sling from Levergun Leather.

Enjoy your guide gun!

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Why in the world do they have to use FFL for just a LOOP LEVER? Makes no sense to me . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I thinkg its because they should be fitted by a gunsmith and they dont want people with no idea what they are doing trying to modify their guns. Probably just don't want the liability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts