Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas. My 1895 GBL 45/70 shoots and ejects the case but jams when the carrier begins to lift the next cartridge from the magazine. The cartridge is always about half way out of the magazine and the carrier jams on the cartridge case. This happened occasionally but since I installed a new RPP Load Gate it jams consistently. Any assistance is welcomed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. My GBL with the RP gate is doing the same thing. Although intermittently. And seems to occur more frequently with Hornady 325 gr lever

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds familiar, my 1895 (JM stamped 2008 manufactured) did the same thing when I bought it. Cartridge came about halfway out from the magtube and jammed, no matter were there only one or magazine full. It was some kind of timing problem with carrier. Shop I bought it from used to deal warranty repairs here so they fixed it. They had to make calls and some sort of investigations since it was the first time they came upon such a problem. When my gun jammed, it seemed like carrier was "one step ahead" and it turned the cartridge in angle before it was out from the tube. Action froze there and lever wouldn't move. You could push it out from the tube with flathead screwdriver and free the action.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wasn't the case with my gun. You could jam it with only one cartridge in mag. Looked like carrier was trying to lift cartridge too soon and wedge it in the magtube. Only half of the cartridge was out from tube and carrier was lifting it up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Which cartridge is halfway out,I will assume the next in line,rather than the one being chambered,if that's happening your cartridge stop is probably the culprit ,.It is either worn or defective,how old is the rifle?mine is first generation and never had a problem they generally don't wear out ,check the screw,it could be lose?the only reason I had a problem was when I used heavy bullets and seated them to far out.could that be?maybe ,despite everything,it is worn?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Which cartridge is halfway out,I will assume the next in line,rather than the one being chambered,if that's happening your cartridge stop is probably the culprit ,.It is either worn or defective,how old is the rifle?mine is first generation and never had a problem they generally don't wear out ,check the screw,it could be lose?the only reason I had a problem was when I used heavy bullets and seated them to far out.could that be?maybe ,despite everything,it is worn?
My gun was new when I had that issue. No matter how many there was in magazine, you could put only one cartridge in and it jammed when you cyckled the lever. It came out halfway and jammed. Problem got fixed when they grinded the carrier little at the time, it was timing problem. Been working ever since without a problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sapponen describes exactly what I am seeing. I talked with another Marlin owner with the same rifle and he said he polished his carrier to resolve it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They said it is a rare problem, mine was the first they saw. Got the gun fixed fast after they knew what was causing it.

Hope you get your gun fixed soon!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Problem got fixed when they grinded the carrier little at the time, it was timing problem. Been working ever since without a problem.
^ This. Should be an easy fix. Let us know how your coming along.

Reactions: Victor N TN
1,875 Posts
Carolina man,

I just saw this thread somewhat belatedly, but perhaps my experience can help you root out the problem.

First, while it's possible that switching loading gates changed things enough to exacerbate the issue, it's highly unlikely that the gate is the real culprit. I'm not just saying this to defend my product, it's simply a matter of mechanics that once the case rim slips past the "mouth" of the loading gate, the gate's influence on the feeding process is drastically reduced.

There are only a couple of things that can cause a jam like the one you described. The most likely cause, as Sapponen also described, is a carrier timing fault. This case is the opposite of the much talked about "Marlin jam/double feed." In this instance the carrier is being lifted too quickly in its cartridge cutoff capacity, pinching the emerging cartridge before it has cleared the magazine. All levers are nominally the same across calibers, so the culprit would have to be the carrier. Carriers are caliber specific. Perhaps the wrong carrier was installed. This is not a wear issue.

Other potential candidates are: 1) the follower (if FTX bullets are used, a follower with a dished nosed must be employed). 2) rough machining on the carrier or magazine port that could catch the cartridge during its passage.

Hope this helps, and you get the issue resolved.

AD

Reactions: kah64

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AD, thanks for the response. I did not intend to imply that the loading gate caused it. The loading gate works great, it did move from an occasional jam to routine, but I don’t think it’s at all caused by the gate but by the disassembly and reassembly process. The jam is just as you described it. The gun has had less than 100 rounds through it. I do have a new carrier for the 45-70. My first step will be to polish what looks to be rough machining on the carrier surface. If that does not correct it I will replace the carrier. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a project at work that kept me traveling I finally got around to the 1895 jam issue. The root cause is the rifle machining. The original factory load gate jammed occasionally but the RPP jammed consistently. It looks like the slot for the arm of the load gate is machined at a slight angle based on looking at the installed load gate as viewed from the bottom. I filed ~.010 off of one side of the load gate and now the rifle cycles perfectly. The load gate would hang on the rifle housing and not return the final 3/16” to its natural position. This is not a rant but the load gates were fine. Turns out it was the simplest fix vs. trying to machine the rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts