Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been looking at the venerable 45-70 round lately and really like the looks of the 1895 GBL, which has the extended magazine tube almost flush with the muzzle. However, I've also read of the problems with the Remington made guns. I've searched the boards here, and from assembling bits and pieces, it appears to me that the 1895 GBL only started production in 2009 or 2010, just prior to the North Haven plant closure. So, in the new/used gun market, there should be both North Haven GBLs, Ilion GBLs, and perhaps a few that were started in North Haven but finished in Ilion. Am I correct, or has Marlin made GBLs since the Guide Guns first came out? If there weren't many North Haven GBLs produced, should I just go for the standard Guide Gun built in North Haven, or perhaps even the 1895 CB?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
My only REP stamped gun is my 1895ABL and I like it a lot. You can nit pick the details that it is not as nice as my JM guide gun and LTDII and I would agree that it is not as pretty as they are. That being said I like the configuratioon of the rifle and I am happy I took the chance. If you have a GBL in your hands and it meets your inspection criteria, buy it, if not then wait. Only you will know.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought mine in Nov. of 2009 and it is among the very first run of GBL's which were made in Ct. and it is stamped JM.

Get the one YOU want. Inspect it and realize that if you want a GBL/ABL/SBL, that's the model you want, otherwise look at the GG or other model and decide which one is right for you.

Typically, anything 2008 or earlier is put together well and less likely to be faulty. 2009 was the last year of old school Marlin's and even then you have to inspect them.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi,
Mine was bought in 2010 and was built in early 2009. It has been all I wanted. Here in Oz the importer had older stock and I bought one of those. So from my experience 2009 JM stamp is ok.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys...guess the bottom line is to check one out in person before buying. Unfortunately, no dealers in my area stock them, so I'll have to wait for the travelling gun show to make its rounds and see if anyone there happens to carry one. At the gun show last year, I finally got my hands on an unfired 1894C built in 2006 for $475. Hopefully, I'll get lucky again!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Uh, I just looked at some new REPs (or maybe it should be RIPs :p) and ALL three that I looked at had misaligned barrels/sights. The gun mgr asked me if I needed any help and I mentioned that the plant had moved and was known to be having problems. I pointed to the SBL which was priced at $850 and told him about the misalignment. He said that he knew and that he was working with the factory to fix his stock of Remlins. This monstrosity was on still on the floor so maybe Remlin is providing him with advanced replacement and he will ship the junk back when he gets good ones. He may be waiting a while... I wouldn't buy a Remlin GBL any time soon. I'd buy a used Marlin and pay for a gunsmith to turn it into a GBL. It will cost a little more but you'll have a solid gun at the end of it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Since my earlier disappointment with a misaligned barrel on an 1895 SBL from 2009 I was about to buy (with JM stamp and serial no 912xxxxx) I have been looking for other options. Today I got a call from a vendor stating that he just received four SBL’s today. He unpacked a couple of them while on the phone with me and all of them were new production having serial numbers starting with “MR…” and they also had the “REP” stamp in an oval on the right side of the barrel close to the receiver. I asked him over the phone to do an initial check for misalignment and other issues including cosmetic ones. He was not overly impressed with the finish (steel to wood interface) but otherwise found the guns OK. He could not on the spot see any misalignment or droop issues. He ended up offering to sell me one of them at an extremely good price.

I am in a slight state of confusion on this one – as I was looking for an “original” JM gun. These new guns are all Remlins but at the same time the offer is pricewise extremely interesting. I guess that a very close scrutiny and check for faults would keep me covered…? At some stage the Remington owned Marlin plant must have gotten its act together on the QC issue, or…

I would very much appreciate your recommendation whether to go for it – or keep searching.

8)
Oscar123

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
My GBL is a 2009 JM that I picked up in May 2010…

The +’s, clean crisp 6# trigger, the smoothest barrel I’ve seen yet in a Marlin, shoots great… Fit and finish are good for a mass production rifle (not perfect) but good.

I really only had one minus - and that was the action was stiff and binding… Following Eli Chaps action tuning guide, it’s much better now.

Oh, and did I say it is a shooter too. 8)

If I was in the market looking for one now, I'd look it over Real good first :) And if looking online, I'd want it for a couple of days to inspect and have to option of returning it if not satisfied. ;)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I have a 91202XXX SN marked JM on the barrel. Alignment is good as well as wood/metal match-up. I have fired about 25 rounds of Hornady LR at 100 yrds. POI is very similar to POA.
I have cycled about 100 rounds (Hornady LR, Rem 405Gr SP, and Win 300Gr JHP) through it, to assure proper feeding. No issues, goes bang each time I pulled the trigger on a live round.

The action is not a smooth as the 1977 44mag 1894 that I bought used, but no apparent issues.

Good luck with the one you purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,

I'm a brand new Marlin owner, brand new to this forum and I have a question. I know the topic has been beat to death, but I just bought a 1895 GBL with the JM stamp and a 9106xxxx serial number. Everything seems to line up well and the craftsmanship seems good. I had to go to three stores before I found a Marlin without the Remington markings (REP on barrel and a non- MRxxx serial #) Can I be 100% sure that this gun was made in CT by the Marlin crew??

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
As far as we know it should he as stated, but one never knows what Remington was doing last fall. It should be a real Marlin by date and barrel stamp but no one can give you a 100%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the input, Rowdy and ggeilman. I've been really concerned since I bought the thing and I want to be as sure as possible that it's a real Marlin. Is there anything else I should look for or do?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
According to Tomray it is possible it was assembled at Ilion as Remington had them run off a bunch of extra barrels and receivers but the parts at least were made my Marlin people at minimum. If the fit and finish is good and it cycles ok I would not be concerned.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Prk154 said:
Hello all,

I'm a brand new Marlin owner, brand new to this forum and I have a question. I know the topic has been beat to death, but I just bought a 1895 GBL with the JM stamp and a 9106xxxx serial number. Everything seems to line up well and the craftsmanship seems good. I had to go to three stores before I found a Marlin without the Remington markings (REP on barrel and a non- MRxxx serial #) Can I be 100% sure that this gun was made in CT by the Marlin crew??
Welcome to Marlin Owners, Prk154.
You have a 2009 Vintage North Haven,CT Marlin with the JM Final Assembly Stamp. There were lots of Roll Stamped "91xxxxx" Barrels made up until Christmas of 2010. Then we packed up all of the Barrel Departments Machinery to go on trucks for Ilion,NY (Lever Action Rifles) and Mayfield,Kentucky (Bolt Action Rifles).
If you see a "91xxxx" Barrel with an REP Stamp you have a North Haven,CT Barrel used on an Ilion,NY Assembled Remlin/Marlington.
Good Luck with your Official Marlin.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks Kon for giving the official info here :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Kon and everyone for your help and info. It's nice to see that there are guys out there willing to help a newbie like me. You've really eased my concern over my gun being a real Marlin.

I called the "Marlin" customer service hotline yesterday to find out any information they might have on my gun based on serial number (ship date, etc.). She said that the only information she could give me was year of manufacture and said mine was made in 2010, which is completely against anything I've read or been told by the experts on here and everywhere else. Basically, I'm disregarding her information, but I figured I'd let you guys know.

On another thought, does anyone have any suggestions for a scope setup on my 1895?? I plan on using it mostly for deer up to 200 yds, but would like for it to be a good setup for pig or bear. I'd imagine that eye relief is an issue.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Normally by serial number it would be 2009, but I would go with what Kon said and Marlin's customer service. Things got rather wierd at the end with serial numbers. They apparently didn't use the 2010 serial number from what I can gather.

Scope suggestions tend to run the gamit of what is my favorite scope, Leupold, Weaver, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I'm going to go with the Leupold VX-1 2-7X33 shotgun scope with the heavy duplex reticle. Does anyone have any opinions or advice for me??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts