Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Guide gun, the one that the mag tube goes to the end of the barrel.
My question, when ya remove the mag cap screw should the mag tube come away from the barrel just past the stud that the screw that holds it on goes in.
I`m just wondering because this gun has a tendency to shoot low and am wondering if the mag tube has any thing to do with it.
I can push the tube towards the barrel easily without much pressure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went out and shot the gun at 50 yards bullet hit in center of the target, loosened the mag screw and it shot six inches higher. Going to remove the forearm and see what`s up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it, tweeked the tube a little it was bent slightly and now it shoots on target again.
Thing is it should of shot high after i fixed the tube issue and it didn`t so that tells me that the barrel must flex that much with the tube screw loose.
Any thoughts from the techs would be appreciated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm curious about that myself, I haven't run into it yet but I'd like to know the results in case I do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda on my own on this one ::)
I`m embarrassed to say that most of the problem is my aging eyes, the mag tube was a issue but not the accuracy problem.
I shot 20 rounds at 50 yards and groups were as before so moved the target up to 30 yards were i could focus on it better and here are the results.
Getting old sure is fun might have to go to a peep sight, dang if i want a scope on it for a carry gun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I haven't run into it yet
In that case I'll have to amend my previous post, "I have run into that", lol.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Pitchy said:
Fixed it, tweeked the tube a little it was bent slightly and now it shoots on target again.
Thing is it should of shot high after i fixed the tube issue and it didn`t so that tells me that the barrel must flex that much with the tube screw loose.
Any thoughts from the techs would be appreciated.
Pitchy - this help ? :)

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,84578.0.html

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think the washer fix is only good if your mag tube is touching the barrel. If it doesn't touch then if won't affect the harmonics of shooting. I thought about the washer fix, but my barrel wasn't touching and I just played around the the tension of the screw holding the mag tube and found my rifles sweet spot. I guess every rifle is a little different because of all the variables in shooting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BR549 said:
I think the washer fix is only good if your mag tube is touching the barrel. If it doesn't touch then if won't affect the harmonics of shooting. I thought about the washer fix, but my barrel wasn't touching and I just played around the the tension of the screw holding the mag tube and found my rifles sweet spot. I guess every rifle is a little different because of all the variables in shooting.
After taking the forearm off again and reinstalling i didn`t need the washer it came out even the whole length. Might have a couple thousands difference under the tube, close enough, don`t know what happened if there was a piece of wood holding things out of line or what. I`m happy now and it`s shootin good. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I`d like to add that there seems to be a issue about installing the forearm properly, the first time i installed the forearm i had the gap between the mag tube and the barrel. What seems to be the case is you have to tighten the forearm cap screws down evenly or it pulls the forearm and bolster over too one side creating the gap. When i installed the cap the second time i tightened each screw equaly until tight.
Something to check if your having this problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shipping label is on the way, it seems the barrel is not indexed properly. ::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts