Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do this for fun? Looks like I'll be spending some time in NE Montana/ NW North Dakota. Thought it might be fun for my 405gr plinker loads, great practice?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Gaterskiner said:
Not enough gun! ;D
I'm with you Gaterskiner, might do it with careful load selection. :) ;) :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
why not? that's how i dialed in my 300WINMAG

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Jack rabbit maybe, prairie dogs might over run your position ::)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That sounds about right to me. You can NEVVER be over gunned for rabbits. ::)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I suppose I had it coming, very funny. ;D

Just thinking it would be good practice, and add a little life (or death in the varmint's case) to "walk-abouts" with the Brockman. Maybe I need a speedloader in case they attack en masse. Maybe have air support on standby, in case I need to call a Broken Arrow. "Bring em in on my Pos, I say again, danger close on my Pos!" RABBITS IN THE WIRE!!!!!!

Thanks for the intelligent and witty replies as usual, LOL.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It is great practice. We use our Hog rifles for coyotes, ground squirrels and rabbits all the time. Makes it really nice when you get that long shot on a big hog if you've been crushing small running varmints at distance with the same rifle....... of course shot placement is going to be crucial. ;D

·
Registered
622 Posts
OMG, another is my gun big enough thread. There are some on this sight that would recommend you use at least a 500 gr buffalo bore load, or better yet go buy a bunch of reloading equipement so you can load your own.

Honestly, its all about shot placement and even the 300 grain winchester loads traveling 1880 FPS will do a good job if you do your part and put it right in the boiler maker. Better yet use some 450 gr hardcast and run the whole length of the varmits.

I know, I know the joke was already made but I couldn't resist.

It is great long range practice by the way.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
1895Gunner said:
In Florida you can use a 45/70 for rabbits. Around here they get real big.

GOOD LORD! Is that photo shopped, or an actual rabbit? It's bigger than the thing my B.I.L. shot last year and called a whitetail.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For most rabbits, I think it will work fine for skinning them.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hey Tic, I would say shoot, skin and gut in the one motion. ;D ;D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hey Gunner,
Do those monster rabbits glow green at night, also do you live next to a nuclear testing site?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts