Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just put an order in for my new 1895 Cowboy 45-70. I have a Perdersoli Billy Dixon Sharps that I'm trading for it. The Sharps is a good gun but heavy. Looking forward to the 1895, I have no idea when it'll be here. Any suggestions on pet loads? I have about 700 Suter's Choice 405 gr cast. It should go nice with my 336 35 Rem.,1894 357, 1894 44.
Warren

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I've been using 37 grains of 3031 in my CB with a 405 Meister bullet. Real accurate at 100yds, and not too much recoil. As always: YMMV, actual results may vary, void where prohibited by law... ::)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I just noticed the thread on whats your favorite 45-70 load. Pretty exited been wanting one of these for a long time. Am I looking at a 6 month wait?
Thanks
Warren

·
Registered
124 Posts
What does it mean when you say you put an order in for a '95 Cowboy??? Put an order in where?

Does Remlin even promise to build such a rifle in the future????

·
Registered
353 Posts
Had a 1895 CB in my hot little hands last Saturday down in Enumclaw, WA. It was brand new, don't know what year it was made. I was really surprised how well balanced it was for a 26" bbl. Also, it wasn't as hvy as I expected. Store owner was ask'in $ 689.95 for it.

I went to another store a lot closer to the Canadian border. I was shown what was called an 1895 LTD IV (sounded like a gas guzzler from the 70's eh?) in 45-70 w/oct 24" bbl, strt stock, narrow forearm, full length magazine. Anyhow, it's in my gun cabinet & I'm $ 669 lighter. Don't know much about LTDs although it's my 3d 1895 series. What little I have found out about it is about 1000 were made, maybe in the late 1990s. Can anyone tell me what I just bought? I know the Marlin brand, the 1895, & already have 45-70s, but what an LTD is beats me unless it's the limited # made. It was brand new but the man on the other side of the counter said that it had been around for a long time. Took it home & cleaned it-must have been sitting around for awhile cuz of dust accumulation in nooks & crannies & some traces of rust on the bolt (all gone now).

My greatest concern is that w/my old eyes I can keep it w/open sights, somehow the appearance wouldn't be the same scoped. However, I'm a hunter, not a collector (well sorta) & I'll do whatever it takes to hit the tgt.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sideswipe,

Sounds like you found a great rifle!!!

I wonder if anybody makes a long-tube brass scope that would fit the CB???
My eyes are nowhere near as good as they once were, so, I need all the help I can get, to see the target.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had good luck using RL-7 with the RCBS-45-405 and the RD .460 350. It was a load listed in the trapdoor section of the lyman manual. I think around 37gr. Accuracy was good with the RCBS, excellent with the RD. Recoil is not bad at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
August said:
What does it mean when you say you put an order in for a '95 Cowboy??? Put an order in where?

Does Remlin even promise to build such a rifle in the future????
The dealer put an order in with Simmons Guns. He said he'd get one eventually, hope so.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the tip Sideswipe, that Cowboy is now in back room of said Enumclaw gun shop awaiting my arrival to pick it up. I was told it was a real Marlin, and new. Can't wait to see it.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Sideswipe said:
Don't know much about LTDs although it's my 3d 1895 series. What little I have found out about it is about 1000 were made, maybe in the late 1990s. Can anyone tell me what I just bought? I know the Marlin brand, the 1895, & already have 45-70s, but what an LTD is beats me unless it's the limited # made. It was brand new but the man on the other side of the counter said that it had been around for a long time. Took it home & cleaned it-must have been sitting around for awhile cuz of dust accumulation in nooks & crannies & some traces of rust on the bolt (all gone now).
You got a great deal Sideswipe!! Them LTD's are going for $1000 + on the auction sites..... The LTD's are "Limited" edition Marlins

Here's some LTD info for you......(I think I got all the info right for you.)

---LTD I
24" half octagon barrel, full mag tube, straight grip, no checkering, Mfg. in 1997, only 2000 made

---LTD II
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full mag tube, pistol grip with checkering, Mfg. in 1997, only 2000 made

---LTD III
18.5" tapered octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full mag tube, straight grip, no checkering, Mfg. in 1999, only 1000 made

---LTD IV
24" full octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full mag tube, straight grip, no checkering....Mfg. in 2000, only 1000 made

---LTD V
24" half round/half octagon barrel, .45-70 Govt, full mag tube, checkered walnut stocks, Mfg. in 2001

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad I could be of a little help Digger. On some forums it seems someone is always anxious to jump down your throat if you give an opinion-not so much this one. The CB looked flawless & I had a hard time letting go of it (I did wipe it down when I handed it back). I'm not a Winnie lover but have a great respect for them. He has a cabinet of vintage, some low SN, Winchesters in the 2d room. You from the Wetside?

Thanks six-gunz for the info. Appreciate your take on it's potential value. My wife was sitting here look'in over my shoulder. Don't know about you guys but I get this "you have enuf guns" more frequently all the time. I find this forum educational & can I say "uplifting"? Spent almost 2 wks in New Bedford last July. w/an old Army buddy. Went to the Springfield Armory Museum very cool. A lot of pretty country back there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sideswipe said:
Glad I could be of a little help Digger. On some forums it seems someone is always anxious to jump down your throat if you give an opinion-not so much this one. The CB looked flawless & I had a hard time letting go of it (I did wipe it down when I handed it back). I'm not a Winnie lover but have a great respect for them. He has a cabinet of vintage, some low SN, Winchesters in the 2d room. You from the Wetside?
I live in Graham. He does have some really great stuff in there

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went and looked at the Cowboy in Enumclaw today, pretty disappointed. It was NIB Remlin, with really crappy fitting of the wood. The forend had a chip out of it, done before staining and never fixed. The wood looked fake to me, I know it wasn't, but looked that way. It is back on the rack for $689.00 if anyone wants it, Tuttles in Enumclaw, WA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts