Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks. I was handling an 1895 Cowboy rifle not too long ago and while it felt real good to me - it seamed a bit on the "light" side for a rifle of that size and construction. How does this style and weight ( 7-8 lbs +/- ) handle warm to hot 45/70 loads ? More importantly - how is the felt recoil ?

Regards, Vic

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Vic, I have shot 3 different 1895CBs and would like to have one. However, it will have a nice, fitted pad installed post haste. The curved, plain butt, to me, is a bit rough shooting even factory rounds that don't phase me a bit in my 1895GS. Some heavier handloads in the CB were downright painful. I'd like to see how one was after mercury was installed...maybe that might be better than changing those classic lines with a PPad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you buy one I recommend getting a PAST Recoil Shield or something similar. A recoil management device of some kind is a must if you plan on shooting long strings of heavy loads.

Their is plenty of data available for both light target or kill anything on the planet heavy loads so if you plan on shooting alot then you will want to think about reloading (if you already don't).

G

·
My 1895 LTD V is similar - put a Pachmyar Triple Mag pad - wish I had put on a Kick-Eze.

With all due respect, a past shield is a bench rest tool - not something you use hunting - the lenght of pull with a good pad is longer, which helps most people, i.e. you don't have to cut the stock.

I would want my lenght of pull, and a recoil pad in place for consistency. Thos past pads, or lead sleds or any other rig for the bench just don't seem practical to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nanook 450 said:
My 1895 LTD V is similar - put a Pachmyar Triple Mag pad - wish I had put on a Kick-Eze.

With all due respect, a past shield is a bench rest tool - not something you use hunting - the lenght of pull with a good pad is longer, which helps most people, i.e. you don't have to cut the stock.

I would want my lenght of pull, and a recoil pad in place for consistency. Thos past pads, or lead sleds or any other rig for the bench just don't seem practical to me.
I agree it's clearly not something you want to wear in the field.
Once you get them adjusted their not to bad on the bench and they make shooting 80+ rounds more pleasent. The other thing I like about them is they allow you the fire a varity of rifles (some you may not own) which may or may not have management systems in place.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
One thing to consider. In 35+ years of hunting, I have never felt the gun recoil, or noticed how loud it was. Some reason for this such as adrenaline, or heart ppounding, but it happens.
If you wear a recoil pad for shooting at the range, you'll probably not need it in the field.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I own one of those beautiful 1895CB's and have regularly shot 460gr. cast bullets at velocities from 1640 to 1825 fps. From the bench it is painful unless, like was recommended, you use a PAST strap-on recoil pad. I have hunted quite a bit with those same loads and have never once noticed the recoil when shooting game. I think either a slip-on pad for the gun or the PAST pad for range sessions is totally in order but in the field, forget it.

G

·
Lots of good advice on the putting on a recoil pad. Mine is the 1895CB, 26 inch barrel 45-70. I shot mine without the pad the first couple of times and the black and blue area was significant and the pain very real! The same went or goes for the 1895 guide gun...even more so. :lol: It will not jar your teeth...that only happens when I sleep. :lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I HAVE to wear a PAST Ultra pad, when shooting anything other than a 22 LR, field or bench ...

It isn't so much because of the recoil, the missing parts of my shoulder and upper arm require it.

However, it didn't take long to get used to the presence of the PAST recoil pad. Now, I hardly ever realize it's there.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts