Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I haven’t been active here for a while now. Too many temptations to spend a lot of money :D

i have two 1895s now. A custom stainless guide gun, action job, XS sight and Brockman lumber. And a 1975 vintage gun that owned since about 1990, and taken a lot of deer and hogs with it. I don’t intend to part with it, but have gotten bored with it. I also own a barrel from an LTD IV, 24” octagon. I’ve been kicking around the idea of having the LTD IV barrel out on the 1975 gun, longer magazine tube etc. but the price of the gunsmithing work would be more than just buying a new Remlin Cowboy. Which I ain’t gonna do.

So I’ve been watching off and on for a JM 1895 Cowboy, or ideally an LTD III. I found one today on gunbroker, with a very reasonable buy it now price. What is the market like for these lately? I paid $625 for this one, so I know I didn’t get hurt, just curious.

I have a few plans for it. First it’ll get a Pachmayr delecerator Type recoil pad. Maybe some action smoothing if it needs it. And most importantly either a tang sight, or possibly a flip up elevator sight. My local range goes out to 300 yards and I’m unlikely to shoot it any farther than that. Any suggestions on long range iron sights for a CB?

I also have an 1895 stock and forearm that are from special edition model, absolutely gorgeous wood. This might be the right gun for that wood, I’ll have to see how it fits.

I will post pics once I have it in my hands, can’t wait.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back! If you got a JM Cowboy for that amount I believe you did very well!!

I will "third" the picture idea, always love to see what people are doing to put their own mark on the gun.
serial number starts with 98, so 2002. Well before Remington entered the picture.

Im not sure how long the pics at GB will stay up ... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772848370

·
Registered
478 Posts
$625 for a cowboy or LTD III?

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
That's a good deal on that Cowboy.

The barrel swap idea you have is actually very easy. Take off the forearm and tube, and have a smith swap the barrels. (Cost me $60-$80) Everything else you can do yourself. It's just a matter of buying/finding the parts needed.
I've done it a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good deal on that Cowboy.

The barrel swap idea you have is actually very easy. Take off the forearm and tube, and have a smith swap the barrels. (Cost me $60-$80) Everything else you can do yourself. It's just a matter of buying/finding the parts needed.
I've done it a few times.
Thanks, I may still do it. Then whichever one of the rifles shoots the best I’ll leave alone, the other I’ll cut down to 18.5”.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Glad you’re back on here, Warhawk! Great deal!!

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.