Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at an 1895 cowboy (45-70) today mfgred in 2006, which should be safely before Marlin started the downhill slide into Remlins.
I haven't researched them like I should have before seriously considering buying one. This one sneeked up on me and I am probably going to buy it today.
My question is what year did Marlin begin to make the CB's. For some reason I am thinking it began with Cowboy Action shooting, but I could be dead wrong. I assume a 2006 has the CBS and am just curious if they made CB's before 1983 when the CBS was born.
Is the 2006 as good as it gets or should I be holding out for some old vintage model?
Any prompt help will be appreciated as I am about to pull the trigger shortly.

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
No Cowboys made before the hammer block safety came. They were made 2001 to 2010. The only difference during the production run were checkered and non-checkered stocks. The 2006 should be as good as any of the other years. Good luck today. I hope it works out for ya.

-Bob George

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear.
I am in Texas and the rifle is in Texas, but the rifle is about 500 miles from me; but I have a friend that just so happens to live 2 miles from the MO that has the rifle. He is checking it out for me as I write and is supposed to send me photos. Very little doubt that I will buy it today.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The cowboy was in excellent shape and I bought it. Sending check to my friend who will pick it up early next week, then bring it to me in a couple of weeks.
It will be a slow 2 weeks as I can't wait to see and hold my 1895 cowboy. Oh and shoot it of course!

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
805 Posts
Congratulations Billy Jack! I know you'll love it.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Congrats,and don't forget pics.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Congrads, with everything I've read about the 1895 Cowboys and your friend's inspection I would bet you'll love it. And ditto on the pictures... We gotta have them :)

-Bob

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think I can post the photos my friend took with his cell phone today.
I hope its not out of line to mention that I now have to pay Horseshoe for the rifle so I am selling my Ruger No. 1 in 45-70. It is just now listed in our Trading Post Section under Rifles for Sale/No Marlins Here. My sale with Horseshoe a fellow MO member was so easy and pleasurable that I am hoping for a similar experience selling my Ruger No.1 to another MO member.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More Cowboy Photos

More photos of my new 1895 Cowboy taken by my friends cellphone when he checked out the rifle for me 500 miles from my home.
Dealing with Horseshoe was a real pleasure. My Tyler friend made a new Tyler friend today only 2 miles from his home. All because I found a rifle for sale on our Trading Post.

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was for sale with or without the big 6 power scope. $800 without and $900 with. The scope comes off first thing. I'll either use the buckhorns and add a tang sight or maybe just add a Williams Receiver Peep Sight. I bought the Leupold because I thought it was a good deal and me or a buddy can surely find a place for a nice Leupold scope.
I feel like I got a very fair deal on a hard to find rifle in excellent shape.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congratulations Billy Jack.
Good call on the scope. $100 for the scope, rings and base is a smokin' deal. A buddy of mine who buys and sells tons of rifles has been known to pick up deals that include scopes. Sometimes he just sells off the gun and keeps the scope for another project.
Sweetening the deal with a good quality scope also helps sell. Enjoy your Cowboy.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Billy Jack you got a beautiful rifle at a fair price. It's not like these are mass produced.

The best part is...see how happy and excited you are!:biggrin:

Now the wait till it arrives.:vollkommenauf:

Remember the song...Anticipation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts