·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I said I was going to buy it and I did. Here's the proof:

And another

And another

And another
http://s554.photobucket.com/user/br...A/Marlin1895CBARollStamp_zpsb0400cf3.jpg.html

and another

Overall, I think they did a pretty nice job on this one. If I had to pick it apart, there are a few things....

The mortise for the upper tang is slightly to long.

The forend has a reddish tint to it whereas the buttstock does not.

The corners of the octagon barrel are rounded out slightly.

Trigger pull is heavy.

On the flip side, there are positives.

It's a Cowboy and I didn't give $1000 or more for it.

It is a unique Cowboy with a short barrel.

The action is a good as any I've felt on a Marlin.

The buttstock has some nice figure.

That's from my initial look over :)

-Bob

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Nice looking wood Nice looking gun
Whats your thought on quality of that REMMY

Reactions: Oregon Stihl

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hey that aint too shabby at'all!!! I like it!

Congrats and good luck with it.

Please keep us posted on how it shoots and such. :tee:

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Woohoo! Looks great! Congrats on grabbing that one! Glad to hear it is well made, of course, now you need to go and shoot it! Have you stripped all down yet?

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Looks real nice! Let us know what you think of it at the range. Great looking stock!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Really like it. What's the barrel length on that beauty?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I agree, great looking stock for sure. Maybe Rem is getting their act together. The forearm to receiver fit looks very good. It'd be nice if they would offer in a 26" barrel.
looking forward to hear how she shoots.
BoB

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Buiser, was that a luck of the draw? Or did you look at several before you found this one? Nice looking rifle for sure.:congrats:

Reactions: Oregon Stihl

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is that a 20" or 18"? I like it. Be sure to post a range report! And a few more pictures wouldn't hurt either!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to answer all the questions. I f I missed your, it was probably on the first page and my memory is not so great :(

I called 4 stores before I agreed to purchase this one. THe first store I called multiple times and never spoke to anyone at the gun counter. The closest I got was talking to the operator on the third day of trying to call them. The second store had one, but the fella sadi that it had severa issues and said that he couldnn't recommend purchasing it. The fella that I talked to at the third stor didn't want to walk "100 yards" to the rifle to look it over for me. He sadi it was a new rifle and would be fine and if it wasn't I would be able to send it to Marlin and they would make it right. The fourth store was very helpful. Two people looked it over for me and told me what they thought and that is the one I bought.

THe barrel length is 18.5 inches. Tha threw me for loop when I first heard it. I made several phone calls and the second person at Marlin looked it up "in the book" and told me that the 18.5 barrel is a Cabela's exclusive. WHe I talked witht he guy at Cabela's, he said that only 19 stores currently have on of the short barrels in stock. Apparent Cabela's does have 26" barrel models also. They masquerade under the same sku number though so it can be difficult. The "order" number is what gives is away. The Cabela's website does not show (or mention) the 18.5" barrel one. Also, it is not in the Marlin catalog or website because is is a special order exclusive.

More pictures? I have a few more... I have one that is very interesting. It has the serial number and in front of the serial number there is a QRC box. Never seen on of them stamped nto a rifle before ... Other pics to come.

-Bob

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This picture shows how the forearm is a good fit to the receiver and the endcap, but the bottom of the wood doesn' really round up to meet the metal

This picture is an attempt to show how the corners of the octagon barrel are rounded over

Nice piece of wood

Here is the QRC/serial number. It reminds me of the old dot matrix printers.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That is very nice looking 45-70!

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Bob,

Looks good to me...............

I'm a little surprised that FGI would use a Model Designation (CBA) that was established by private distributor (V.F.Grace) in Alaska to market that rifle.......But then, a LOT of what they do surprises me.........

Have you shot it yet?

I'd like to hear your comments after you do shoot it......

A little CBA Trivia..............VF Grace presented the first Marlin 1895CBA #001 to Sarah Palin...........So as far as I'm concerned, now you're in pretty good lookin' company.........:biggrin:

Congrats on a good find.

Tom

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't shot it yet. I've been getting ready to leave town for a dog show this weekend. It was all I could do to get pictures, but I couldn't leave you all hanging like that, lol!

I also need to get some ammo before I take it to the range. What's the lightest load I can probably find at a gun shop? Or, should I have asked what I should stay away from :)

Thanks,
-Bob

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I haven't shot it yet. I've been getting ready to leave town for a dog show this weekend. It was all I could do to get pictures, but I couldn't leave you all hanging like that, lol!

I also need to get some ammo before I take it to the range. What's the lightest load I can probably find at a gun shop? Or, should I have asked what I should stay away from :)

Thanks,
-Bob
Bob,
I'd look for a std 405Gr 45-70 offiering. Those will run about 1300+ FPS and give good accuracy.

Personally, I like to reload 300Gr JSP's at about 1800 FPS..........I don't have interest in things like Buffalo Bore, or Pile Drivers or the other Premium offerings, with catchy names, as I feel they only beat you up with added recoil.........I guess I'm Ol' Skool on that.

You could contact Sarah, and ask her what she uses...............:flute:

Have a great weekend.....

Tom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts