Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas,
:beerglass:
My Skinner Express sight arrived today.:congrats: What an excellent piece of equipment. I snail mailed Mr. Larsson last week, and sight arrived today. What service. Simple, easy install, all parts, screws and tools included. The sight looks better on my 1895 CB than it did in the picture. I highly recommend Skinner Sights. For the long line gentlemen, Mr. Larsson assured me that he has something in the works. :biggrin: Is it here yet?

Mark.

Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Registered
669 Posts
My wife said she was short a Christmas present for me and I could order something for my guns if there was something out there I needed. Three seconds later I was on the phone with the Skinner people. After the phone call, I ordered a Skinner Express setup on line for my 1895 XLR. I have handled other rifles with the Skinner sights on them and was really impressed. I have killed deer with the XO ghost rings on a 450 Marlin, but I like the Skinner better. The Skinner will replace a six power Leupold. I am going back to basics in my old age.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
A wise choice IMO, I put a Skinner Express on my 1895 CB and 1894 .44 and they are terrific sights. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Merry Christmas,
:beerglass:
My Skinner Express sight arrived today.:congrats: What an excellent piece of equipment. I snail mailed Mr. Larsson last week, and sight arrived today. What service. Simple, easy install, all parts, screws and tools included. The sight looks better on my 1895 CB than it did in the picture. I highly recommend Skinner Sights. For the long line gentlemen, Mr. Larsson assured me that he has something in the works. :biggrin: Is it here yet?

Mark.

Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee
Alright all, here is how the Skinner Express Sight is working out. Have two 350 gr cast loads of 1" at 50 yds, and two of 3/4" at 50 yds. One 350 gr cast load of 1 1/4" at 100 yds. that chrono graphed 1093, 1101, and 1105 fps. Extreme Spread of 12 fps.:biggrin:

Have two 405 gr cast loads that go into one hole at 50 yds. One 405 cast load that went into 1", with called flier, two being in same hole. The best I could do with the 405's at 100 yds. today, was 2 1/2". The chrono for that was, 1004,1005 and 1007. Extreme spread of 3 fps. :rofl:

Think I need to get them up to 1200 fps. Am leaning toward the 350, as it is less recoil.:idea:

Velocity in the Cowboy is very close to what the same loads were in the 22" Micro Groove. Some slightly less. All ammo was cooled to ambient temperature, 37 degrees today. The Micro Groove testing was conducted with 50 degree weather. Micro Groove wore a 1 X 4 Leopould for thirty years.

Our rifle range faces East, so I shot these groups this afternoon.

Was using the factory front sight, which occludes the 100 yard rifle bulls eye. Think I will go through the front sight drawer, and see what is on hand that resembles a Skinner Skinny Front Sight. If I don't have one, a quick call to Mr. Larsson will be in order.:captain:

Will post more data when I get around to firing it. Ran out 90+ rds. of 45/70 today, after playing with cowboy revolvers, and cowboy .22's this am. Had a blast.:biggrin:

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

It looks as if your journey is well under way, Mark. Now let's see some pictures.

Here is my 1894C that I doing a bit of dinger work with. You will note the Skinner rear sight. It also has a Tru-Glo front sight. A great combo. This is on a 300 yard dinger and requires a huge hold over. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pics

It looks as if your journey is well under way, Mark. Now let's see some pictures.

Here is my 1894C that I doing a bit of dinger work with. You will not the Skinner rear sight. It also has a Tru-Glo front sight. A great combo. This is on a 300 yard dinger and requires a huge hold over. :biggrin:

Done

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Hey Mark,

Is your hang up in getting the pics on the computer or loading them onto the forum? If they load, you can post them(if you can find them again):biggrin:.

I gave up on long range with a 1911 years ago. My excuse was that I could not see well enough. :dong::dong:

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
msharley,
That was a FUNNY post up^^^^ there, i almost shot coffee all over......
Thanks for the good laugh, confuser :biggrin:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to hear that the skinner sights are winners cuz i got an email a day or so ago from mr. larson that mine are in the mail and on their way! Gonna take a while to clear customs and make its way up here to canada but it will be worth the wait i hope.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

The Skinner sights are great if you can sight it in and leave it. It is not practical to be readjusting it often. And it is not ideal for long range shooting at the steel targets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im getting them for my 1985cb because i cant stand the sights that come with it and i dont want a scope on it. The other set i ordered is for my winchester 94 30-30. It has a side mount scope that came with it and i actually dont mind it for longer shots but i also want to utilize the iron sights aswell for quick shots on deer and coyotes at short range. Missed a coyote yesterday because the zoom was turned up to far and couldnt keep on the running target.:( he got into the trees and was gone

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hey Mark,

Is your hang up in getting the pics on the computer or loading them onto the forum? If they load, you can post them(if you can find them again):biggrin:.

I gave up on long range with a 1911 years ago. My excuse was that I could not see well enough. :dong::dong:

Hey JB,

At this moment, the only way I can get pics into confuser, is to scan prints. Confuser will not accept cell phone pics. Digital camera is at Red Head's girl friends, they show dogs together. Looked at "faster" camera, to get reload sequence pics, last week. Lady said $300. Told her I wasn't looking to buy a car. LOL. Already had one in the parking lot. Will get one, but would like to get confuser to accept pics from phones. Like the last one.

Currently, have no rifle pics in confuser. Just pics from pistol matches. Have not taken any rifle pics, with the 35mm. That camera cycles rapidly enough to capture the reload sequence. Three frames per second. Still need to be familiar with competitor, so as to time the pics. The Digital Camera at the Red Head's girl friends, is lucky if it cycles at one frame per second. That camera has not been here since we got this confuser last month.

Confused? Not nearly as much as I.

I don't have any hang ups, am just CONFUSER ILLITERATE. And have the patience of a MAD BULL, when it comes to this stuff. Went to get a new router, a couple years back, kids asked why I was going to Home Depot, for a router. They seemed to think that routers had something to do with confusers. They had no idea that routers were wood working tools.

The thirty one year old, may have an older camera to lend me. He is recovering from disc surgery. And gave us a beautiful granddaughter, December 1st. The youngest hopes to be home on leave (USCG), next month. He is a pcguru.

Soon as I overcome my ignorance, I will post pics.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear that the skinner sights are winners cuz i got an email a day or so ago from mr. larson that mine are in the mail and on their way! Gonna take a while to clear customs and make its way up here to canada but it will be worth the wait i hope.
Hey Gaven,

You will like, I got all the apertures, and settled on the .070". The .093" was a bit large for me. At some point, I may invest in a tang sight, no need right now, as I have only 200 yd range to shoot on. Once I have load dialed in, will fine tune the Skinner, and leave it set. Thinking of a 350 gr. cast, at 1200 fps. Most of my plinking will be at the 175 yd gong, and my 12" diameter 200 yd. gong. Occasional snuff cans at 100 yds.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Alright all, here is how the Skinner Express Sight is working out. Have two 350 gr cast loads of 1" at 50 yds, and two of 3/4" at 50 yds. One 350 gr cast load of 1 1/4" at 100 yds. that chrono graphed 1093, 1101, and 1105 fps. Extreme Spread of 12 fps.:biggrin:

Have two 405 gr cast loads that go into one hole at 50 yds. One 405 cast load that went into 1", with called flier, two being in same hole. The best I could do with the 405's at 100 yds. today, was 2 1/2". The chrono for that was, 1004,1005 and 1007. Extreme spread of 3 fps. :rofl:

Think I need to get them up to 1200 fps. Am leaning toward the 350, as it is less recoil.:idea:

Velocity in the Cowboy is very close to what the same loads were in the 22" Micro Groove. Some slightly less. All ammo was cooled to ambient temperature, 37 degrees today. The Micro Groove testing was conducted with 50 degree weather. Micro Groove wore a 1 X 4 Leopould for thirty years.

Our rifle range faces East, so I shot these groups this afternoon.

Was using the factory front sight, which occludes the 100 yard rifle bulls eye. Think I will go through the front sight drawer, and see what is on hand that resembles a Skinner Skinny Front Sight. If I don't have one, a quick call to Mr. Larsson will be in order.:captain:

Will post more data when I get around to firing it. Ran out 90+ rds. of 45/70 today, after playing with cowboy revolvers, and cowboy .22's this am. Had a blast.:biggrin:

Later, Mark
Nice...I'm commenting on part of your post really...I asked, months ago I believe about anybody having luck with the Express and a factory front post...which you just answered...I think. Couldn't get a response when I first asked...now SINCE asking, I ended up going with his Tactical anyway, which as you may know is a slightly lower mount yet...lower than the Express, combined with the short barrel of my Guide Gun...factory post works ok with almost all loads (we've talked so you know I'm talking factory stuff). One question...you say your front post occludes the 100 yard bull, so if I am to understand you correctly, your FACTORY front post is actually a BIT HIGH at this distance (POI is actually low with a "text book" sight picute)? Please be patient with me..I'm not far removed from my..."If my post occludes my POI & my POI is a bull, click the front post down so the point of impact is right at the top of it- AR - days"...so, I am guessing your inch numbers you are giving are your groups...SO...what I want to know is at 100 yards...how is your elevation...AGAIN...since you brought up the front post obstructing your picture of the bull...your front post is HIGH?...So really your POI is low at 100 yrds &...you are raising your front post in your sight picture in order to get your elevation correct,..... The opposite of what past folks experienced with the first "standard" Skinner? Trying to learn. Could you clear this up for me... Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Gaven,

You will like, I got all the apertures, and settled on the .070". The .093" was a bit large for me. At some point, I may invest in a tang sight, no need right now, as I have only 200 yd range to shoot on. Once I have load dialed in, will fine tune the Skinner, and leave it set. Thinking of a 350 gr. cast, at 1200 fps. Most of my plinking will be at the 175 yd gong, and my 12" diameter 200 yd. gong. Occasional snuff cans at 100 yds.

Later, Mark

I cheaped out and didnt get the extra apertures so i hope what comes with it will work or ill be waiting again. Did spring for the "black gold" option though so at least it will look good lol. :biggrin: both rifles that are getting re sighted are active hunting rifles so i think the larger apertures should do the trick though. Then its time to start playing with loads and getting her dialed right in. It really seems to like the 325g lever evolution ammo and i am looking for dies so i can load my own ftx loads. all good things in time right?

Gaven

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
648 Posts

Rocker, now I'm confused. Rephrase you question. :hmmmm:

HA! SORRY...I'll make it simple- JUST SPEAKING ABOUT ELEVATION...old style Skinner...folks found the factory front posts to be too low, SO WITH A NORMAL SIGHT PICTURE... POINT OF IMPACT WAS TOO HIGH... as was expected.....Are folks getting better results with factory posts usuing the Express? I am using the Tactical and it's lower yet than the Express and the factory front post is doing it's job just fine.

Sorry, I still use abreviations and terms thrown at me from my instructor days, also said "posts or post" when speaking of FRONT POSTS, forgot the duel meaning here...I'LL GET OUT OF IT AND SPEAK IN PLAIN ENGLISH SOON...I PROMISE!:biggrin:

Reactions: Ol' Bill

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I'M LEARNING A BUNCH FROM YOU GUYS....KEEP IT COMING!

Now to elaborate and better understand his grouping, msharley...this will help I'm sure moving foreward...., we know a circle is divided into 360 degrees, so that each degree is 1/360 of the arc of the circle. Of coarse each degree is divided into 60' (60 minutes), so that each minute is 1/60th of a degree.....huh....SQUIRL! (anybody see the movie "Up"?)

Had to play some more, sorry guys...you've all been awesome in helping me make my transition back in to the "real world" of shooting...less notepads (not that I don't keep a couple)...BUT, more lead flying down range. More fun.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
OK people - You're starting to give me a headache - LISTEN UP! Buy your Skinner sight of choice. Buy two Skinner front sights. They will be too tall from the factory and your groups will be low. Screw the rear sight to the top of the receiver, the end closest to your eye. Pound one of the front sight blades in the dovetail at the other end of the rifle, where the bullets come out. The tall skinny part goes up. With the rear sight adjusted all the way down, shoot at your target. As noted previously your shot will be low. File off some of the front sight, shoot the rifle again. Keep doing this until your bullets are landing about where you want them too. If you go over your intended point of impact, pound the second front sight on and start over. Hope this helps. Here is a picture you may refer to if you lose your place. Best regards. Wind

1 - 20 of 177 Posts