Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moved to lowest elevation on the ramp and moved the little white diamond thingy down below the actual buck horn and I'm still seven inches high at 50 yards. According to my miscalculations I need .09 inches comeupance on the front site which means a .590 tall site, Skinner has a .6. Gute enough. I think I will go taller though. Also considering the poor site picture I think I'll also get their rear peep site. Any ideas as to how much higher I should go?

This is what I'm looking at; Front sight, Skinner Partridge, 1/2 " wide, .65 tall, brass. Front Sight

This is the rear site I have in mind; Rear sight, Skinner Express. Brass. Says it sits .062" lower than their regular sights. Rear Sight

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you planned on getting a peep site anyways, you may be able to use it with the current front site. If a peep is ultimately your intent, I would try that first. I have Williams peep sites on several Marlins and have been able to use the factory front site with all of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you planned on getting a peep site anyways, you may be able to use it with the current front site. If a peep is ultimately your intent, I would try that first. I have Williams peep sites on several Marlins and have been able to use the factory front site with all of them.

Thanks NickMc. 1st Armored Division, 1/22 FA. Pinder Barracks Germany. I have seen on Skinner's web site mounting the rear peep on the receiver raises the rear site a tad, ...going in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used skinner peeps ( low profile, std markin and guide type w wings) on 4 different marlins in 45-70. ( guide gun, dark, std 1895 and CB) all zeroed at 70 yds no problem using factory front sight. I do use a 6 o'clock hold so impact is right on top of my front sight.. since your ordering a peep you may as well get a front but I would think your factory should work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Moved to lowest elevation on the ramp and moved the little white diamond thingy down below the actual buck horn and I'm still seven inches high at 50 yards. According to my miscalculations I need .09 inches comeupance on the front site which means a .590 tall site, Skinner has a .6. Gute enough. I think I will go taller though. Also considering the poor site picture I think I'll also get their rear peep site. Any ideas as to how much higher I should go?

This is what I'm looking at; Front sight, Skinner Partridge, 1/2 " wide, .65 tall, brass. Front Sight

This is the rear site I have in mind; Rear sight, Skinner Express. Brass. Says it sits .062" lower than their regular sights. Rear Sight
You can get more adjustment out of a tang sight and may not have to replace the front.

·
Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
Before you determine how high it shoots out of the box you should try at least 2 more different types of factory ammo and if you are going to reload, a low powered round and a medium powered round... You said in your Welcome thread that you shot Grizzly 45-70 +P, 300 gran JHP. 2400 +/- fps. That is a hot round and pretty flat shooting out to 50 yards... A less powerful round will likely start to drop or not rise as much at 50 yards...

I have had as much as 10" difference in the point of impact between different factory rounds and my reloads... That is why I sight in my scope with the ammo I'm going to hunt with...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Sammich.
It's already seven inches high from the factory.
Consider yourself lucky. It could be worse. I had a JM 1895 that shot like that from the factory, only mine shot to the right. I had two choices, either install a cantilevered rear sight hanging 1/2" off the left side or re-barrel the rifle. I chose the latter. Hopefully, you don't have any lateral issues and installing a taller front will fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ Grenadier; Shooting a tad left. Will address that when I finalize my sight selection.

@ Scorpiusb; I came to that conclusion after reading your reply in my introduction thread. Have some HSM 405 Grn Cowboy Action here and FedEx should be here any minute with some Hornady LEVERevolution 325 FTX.

@ DschSarg; I might just go that rout instead. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My Lord Courtesy,
Figure out what kind of sights you want then get the right size.

Iron Sights, Unless you are competing or really need to make adjustments often, a "set it and forget it" type set up is best, Getting a longer sight radius also helps accuracy. So moving the rear sight at least back to the receiver is a good idea.
IMO The sleekest in that category is the Skinner line.

·
Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
I have had a Ranger Point Precision cloverleaf peep on my 1894C for about a year and a half now and really like it... At the bottom of its adjustment I can use the factory front sight easily without need of a taller front sight as often happens with a Skinner. That leaves a lot of adjustment for a rifle that shoots high...

This is my sight in target when I first got it, with my reloads, at 50 yards...

This is the sight on my 1894C...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have had a Ranger Point Precision cloverleaf peep on my 1894C for about a year and a half now and really like it... At the bottom of its adjustment I can use the factory front sight easily without need of a taller front sight as often happens with a Skinner. That leaves a lot of adjustment for a rifle that shoots high...
I should have said "Of the receiver sights I have used..."

The RPP Clover Leaf sight is lower than the skinners, but I have never used one.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

This is my sight in target when I first got it, with my reloads, at 50 yards...

View attachment 849216

This is the sight on my 1894C...
View attachment 849217
Never looked through one of those cloverleafs. How you like it?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

My cowboy is shooting low with a skinner ladder sight and low with the marbles rear sight all the way up. called marbles trying to get a lower front sight and they where helpful but was not permitted to sell me one. went on midway but no customer service because of covid. so i am in limbo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My cowboy is shooting low with a skinner ladder sight and low with the marbles rear sight all the way up. called marbles trying to get a lower front sight and they where helpful but was not permitted to sell me one. went on midway but no customer service because of covid. so i am in limbo.

Skinner has all kinds of front sights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts