Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a video on gunblast.com where Jeff was reviewing and shooting a new Remlin 1895 CB. I didn't know they had brought them back. Didn't look to bad and seemed to function without a hitch. The wood finish was the best I had seen in a while, though not perfect by many of our standards, at least it was livable. Anyway, just thought I would bring this up.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think it looks superb and just to able to own one again is a blessing. My new guide gun is great and for $600 I simply cannot complain. They might have taken their time to get it right but at least they have persevered and now we can enjoy many more years of Marlin firearms. I know my 1949 Waffle top RC is happy to share the same gun cabinet, even though they're 65 years apart....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad to here improvements are being made.
In the GunBlast review he speaks of looking at gun shows and gun stores with positive results in quality. He stated the quality has been there for a while now. He wanted to make sure before he said "Marlin is back" he could back it up. I guess his part of the country has been getting the cream of the crop for a while now. In my neck of the woods it hasn't happened yet.
Is anybody here completely sold on buying on line and not worrying about quality? I'm not.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just bought my 1895 CB site unseen from Cabela's. I heard they had them and a couple other guys on here were happy with theirs so I pulled the trigger and am the proud owner of a Remington made Marlin 1895 CB

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Was the video of the 18" cabela's limited? Or did they come out with a 26"bbl version?

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Good looking rifle. I think I'll look into that some more! Thanks for posting.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The wood to metal fit around the top tang has some pretty sizable gaps up near the trigger.

He does seem to be pretty impartial. I hope that is a representative random rifle off the shelf and not one they selected for the test.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Did anyone notice it had the Marlin bulls eye imbedded in the stock? It looks like they have now destroyed the Marlin trade mark that represented all things great of the pre Remlin Marlins. Just saying eh.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
When the guns are made with a JM stamp I'll start looking at them, until then , I'm not the least bit interested.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Did anyone notice it had the Marlin bulls eye imbedded in the stock? It looks like they have now destroyed the Marlin trade mark that represented all things great of the pre Remlin Marlins. Just saying eh.
I suppose since they probably own all the patents and trademarks it's their privilege. Serial numbers and proof stamps are your only indicator what you are getting.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. It does seem to have some gaps with the wood/metal fit. I noticed that it was a 26" barrel and the Cabela's model is an 18.5" barrel.

Sounds like a video produced by Remington's marketing department...:flute:

·
Registered
409 Posts
The CBA with 18.5" barrel was $789 from Cabela's. I imagine the 26" Cowboy would run the same. Mine, ordered sight unseen, was smooth out of the box and had a decent trigger pull. After putting 100 plus rounds through it and doing a little polishing of my own, and working the action a few hundred times, it has become very smooth and the trigger pull has lightened a bit , to 4 lbs. The butt stock isn't fit quite as tight as the fore end, and doesn't quite match, but it is decent. The rear sight was a bit tweaked to the left, but I had planned to upgrade the sights anyway, and have already replaced it. I tried some loads at 50 yards with the irons and a couple of the charges with cast bullets had the shots all touching. I'm very happy with this shorty 1895.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Well dang it! I'm just going to have to give the current crop of "Marlins" the hairy eyeball when I'm in the Owatonna Cabelas this Monday.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I couldn't resist when I spotted the 18-1/2" Cowboy Marlin on Cabelas website. I called ahead, and there was one left. Now it's all mine.

It was a little rough chambering a round and ejecting the case, which proved to need an adjustment to the extractor. There was ample clearance with the base, but the lower edge was too sharp. I polished and chamfered it a little with a ceramic file, and it's smooth as silk now. The base should slide behind the extractor, for a controlled feed into the chamber.

That's a Skinner "Express" peep sight on the receiver, an a Marbles filler for the dovetail.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts