Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have to ask why do it? If you are going to shoot Black Powder then I guess the 45-90 would be viable. But if you plan to shoot smokeless then you would gain nothing. The 45-70 Can be loaded to the max and beyond what the pressure rating is of the Marlin 1895. And to that end it would not be all that fun to shoot at those pressures.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't know who would do that kind of work ,but the ejection port has to be lenthened,and the carrier modified so the rifle will feed and eject cartridges at least .300 of an inch longer than the max cartridge length for a 45/70.The 45/90 was the original cartridge for the 1886 Winchester.The 86 makes a Marlin action look small.If you had one of them in 45/70, all that would be required is reaming the chamber.Mine feeds and ejects rounds over 2.930 in length.Starline makes 45/90 brass at about $1.00 each.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Far as making white smoke at BP shoots, I know for a fact that a 45-70 case will hold two 50gn pyrodex or 777 pellets plus some loose powder.

You cut the cartridge stop back, move the ejector back and grind enough clearence to the ejection port. That should get you started after you have the chamber lengthened.

At one time I contemplated enlarging the chamber on an 1895 to 45-100 or 120, give it a smooth bore, and custom choke tubes, load it to 20ga levels. Then they came out with that wimpy 2.5 .410 for a while, too bad they did not make it lighter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had a hard time understanding the video-- did he say David Clemens customized the marlin? The initials on the rifle seem to go with Clemens. Very intersting. I believe the McPherson sight has made reference to an alteration for a similar size cartridge and the Wild West 457 is mighty close in size.

I have a win 86 and a an 85 in 45-90 plus the a mrln 95cb 45-70. Considering the weight difference?! I am not so certain any 45-90 extra heavy load in the marlin would be such a good idea. A heavy load 45-70 already packs much punch on both ends. A black powder loaded 45-90 and 45-70 don't seem to make much difference in 300 yards.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I listened to it twice and it sounded like David Clay or Clegg--couldn't tell for sure.

Steve

·
Registered
171 Posts
ia1727 said:
I listened to it twice and it sounded like David Clay or Clegg--couldn't tell for sure.

Steve
David R Clay
DRC loops and sights.

Jim

·
Registered
121 Posts
Long range single shot shooters shooting under Black powder only rules need the 90's case capacity to push heavy bullets at 1000 yards. Those rifles are very heavy to absorb the recoil. Most lever guns the 45/70 and a lighter bullet is more usefull. If you use smokless the 45/70 will hold all the action can stand anyway. Out to 500 yards in BPCS Silhouette competiton the 70 generaly outshoots the longer cartridges like 90's and 110's My 1895 Marlin 45/70's main obsticle to performance is recoil. Longer case heavy bullet it would be worse

Boats

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is some misinformation on here based on misunderstanding of internal ballistics. The pressures are kept within the same limits as the .45-70 by using slower burning powders. Having more of the slower burning powder (more than a .45-70 can hold) causes the pressure to be held longer as the bullet goes down the barrel. The result is higher velocity. The internal ballistics software that is available can get this point across far better than I can just typing. Additionally if you load to .45-70 performance using the slowest powder that can do it, the recoil is less sharp than a .45-70.

Reactions: jtaylor306

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I kind of wonder if you'd have to seat the bullet so deeply as to negate the lenghting of the action so the longer case will fit.????
Would powder capacity still be about the same?? Just curious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I kind of wonder if you'd have to seat the bullet so deeply as to negate the lenghting of the action so the longer case will fit.????
Would powder capacity still be about the same?? Just curious.
No, the action lengthening increases the allowable COL 2.85" versus the 2.55" of the .45-70. IE, given the same bullet you have 0.30" (almost 1/3") extra length for more powder.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks I was wondering. I've created my own jam when setting the seating depth by seating the bullet out just a tad farther than the action will permit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my 1874 Pedersoli Sharps rifle which was originally chambered in 45/70 reamed out to 45/90 by my gunsmith. It is a relatively simple procedure for a competent gunsmith. As mentioned by a previous poster, when loaded with black powder the 45/70 starts to run out of steam when shooting out to 1,000 yards and beyond. This is where the extra case capacity provided by the 45/90 is really noticeable. My Sharps rifle weighs around 12 lbs. and the recoil with 540 grain bullets and a case full of black powder is noticeable. I would suggest that if the same load were fired out of a 7 1/2 lb. Marlin 1895 the recoil would be quite substantial.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Steve
David Clay, he did it for me. You can call him at 7836099 or 8210247, both with the Ft. Worth TX area code that begins with 8. Prices are 500-700 depending on what is involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts