Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pics I'm sorry. But my first time out with a rifle doesn't generally warrant a camera if you know what I mean. Picked up a bag of sutters choice 405's and checked the lyman manual and it recommended varget as the accuracy load so I used it for my first run. WOW! While only 50 yards it really shot one ragged hole, using a scope of course. Very impressed. Can't wait to get back to it and see if it really does exist. Possibly fastest load development ever for me.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Sparky, not only is Varget an accurate powder in most rifles, it also burns clean and usually lower pressure. Enjoy the 45-70 I'll be getting mine out for some excersize soon. Take care, John.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also use varget in many other rifles. Keep a big jug on hand and was very happy to add another gun to the varget list. Very good powder no doubt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really like Varget however it has been almost impossible to get here in western Colorado. I got one pound last week and went back the next day it was gone. They were limiting us to 1 lb per family per day.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I'm also using Varget with my 1895 XLR and getting touching groups with Ranch Dog 360 grainers. I really really like that powder!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
He he he one of the better kept secrets is Varget.

I have a nice accurate load using Varget & the Rem. 405gr JSP that's only traveling a bit over 1400fps with the ES of 6fps!!!

You are going to like that powder in the .45-70!

·
Registered
168 Posts
ha! i agree with all the above! i had a jug of varget that i only used for a short barrel 150gr 308 load. it had basically just been sitting there for quite a while. when i started fooling with the 45-70, i decided to give it a try, basically just to (hopefully) find another use for it. i love it! i have settled on a fairly hot load with a 300g hornady interlock, and my gun loves it. very accurate, very clean, easy on the brass, great load all-around. SO.....i kept loading and blasting until the jug was empty. then i discover that there is no more in the known world!!! gotta love it!

i finally did find a 1# jug at the last local g-s for 25.00, and snatched it up, but i am scared to use it up now!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey Frank V can you give me a hint on the accuracy load for 405 gr. bullet using Varget? I sold my .223 that I was using it for and never thought about it for my 1895 Cowboy.

·
Registered
805 Posts
40 grains of varget and all of my 405 grain bullets like to hover around an inch at 100 yards. This goes for my Remington 405FSP, Laser cast and my Lee 405's also. The first picture is at 200 yard with my Lee 405's and the second is at 100 yards.
45-70, 400gr, 40gr Varget 200 yards.jpg 45-70, 400gr, 40gr Varget.jpg

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey Frank V can you give me a hint on the accuracy load for 405 gr. bullet using Varget? I sold my .223 that I was using it for and never thought about it for my 1895 Cowboy.

Ned, I've had great results with this load & it's right in the middle of the Trapdoor loads in the Hodgdon's reloading manual the 2014 edition page 140, it is 44grs of Varget under a Rem. 405gr JSP, for an average of 1423.666 with an ES of 8fps. It is very pleasant to shoot. The Hodgdon data is for a 405gr cast bullet, but since I'm near the lower end of the data, & I have a good supply I'm using the Rem. 405gr JSP.
Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Thanks too Frank V and Bronco Archer for the info for Varget powder. Going to give them both a whirl and see how she go's. eh

·
Registered
673 Posts
I always keep Varget around. It may not be the very best powder for each, but in absence of anything else I can come up with a working load using Varget for almost every center fire rifle I have in the safe.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Another powder I've had good results with is H4198, I've gotten low 1400fps velocities & ESs using trapdoor loads & the same Rem. 405gr JSP.
I'm sure IMR4198 would work as well, but I've got the Hodgdon variety!

·
Registered
255 Posts
So I get to our gun show a little late yesterday, about 1 1/2 hour after it opened.
First thing I do is scan for powder--no go. After I settle down and start browsing I come across a small vendor that has all his powder for $29.00 a pound. I picked up 2 9oz Trail Boss and called it good (same price @ $29 for 9oz.)
Then I remember seeing you guys talking about Varget but just wasn't sure. I called Doc Holliday and he confirmed it was a good powder, thank you Doc. Picked up 2 pounds and left the last one for the guy behind me.
Can't wait to try it under Doc's 405's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Varget is terrible stuff! You may think it's shooting good groups but what you don't know is ... It's loosening all the screws in your gun! Yeah! That's it!!
And it makes you hair fall out and you wife spend more money on shoes!!
Just put the container back on the shelf and walk away.
(but please PM me the address of the gun shop with some in stock)

Honestly, I have one rifle that doesn't like it. A custom iron sighted 7x57 Mauser that won't shoot sub 2" groups with Varget like it does with H414. Otherwise it's my go to powder for everything from .223 to .458 Lott. And I just opened my last 8# keg. Please someone send a message to the Aussies to make some more.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ned sorry I didn't adress your question.
My Varget loads, & they are middle loads, will put 3 shots touching @ 25yds, I usually get 2" groups @ 100 & that is probably as well as I can shoot with iron sights. I use Skinner Express sights with the largest apature, it's my dark timber rifle.
I'm satisfied. I like Varget

If you have a .243 don't overlook Varget using the 60gr Sierra HP either :biggrin: it gives me 1/2" groups when I do my part & varmints hate it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts