Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1894SS that I bought in Jan. of this year. It went back to the factory twice for many different problems; action froze shut & never been fired, bad wood, poor finish on the metal, etc. I think I am going to tear the action apart myself & do the Marlin fix on it. It`s a Beautiful gun, just needs a good tuning. 444

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** 1894 FG - Brand New with JAMS & INLETTING Problelm

Just got a brand new in-the-box 1894 FG , 41 Mag .

There was a crack/space of about 1/64th , to 1/128th of an inch ( but obvious enough ! ) -- running for about 1"+ , along the top strap of the pistol grip . --- IT HAD BEEN FILLED WITH A SOFT WOOD FILLER , of some sort , evidently at the factory .

---- The gun shop I ordered it at , is very old and reputable , and the box and packing was factory virgin ( I looked close ! ) .
The Shop said the box had never been opened (as I specified ) .

I accepted the rifle anyway , because 1894FG's are hard to come by , and the space is not functional . I'll fill the space with epoxy , but it's not good inletting .

I've got two other Marlin LeverGuns and the inletting is good .

THEN I RAN TWO FULL MAGAZINES OF FACTORY AMMO. - through the rifle . ( i.e -- Federal 250 gr. CastCore , and Remington Semi-jacketed HP , 170 gr. ) .

I kept the weapon shouldered and ran them through fairly rapidly . --- FOUR OR FIVE JAMS WITH EACH ! -- mostly in the nose-up position within the receiver .

Will load up 10 dummy rounds with new Federal Brass , and Beartooth Bullet's 270 Gr. .41 , and send the whole shebang to a Gunsmith that specializes in LeverGuns ( Brockman ) -- for a Chop and Feeding job .

It's still a nice , solid little rifle for the money , and the design is tried and true , -- But I'd rather pay $ 15 dollars more and have better quality control .

Nose to the Trail , ---------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
153 Posts
MMCougar,
I had pretty much the same jamming problems you had with your 1894FG with mine. Since I was shooting from my shop door I just grabbed the telephone and called Marlin the same day I bought mine. The told me to send it back with my complaints. The replaced the barrel, carrier assembly, lever, and did a full action job on it. The return turn around was not bad and the gun runs like a custom built rifle now. Marlin paid the freight both ways.
Regards,
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deerdown, Thanks for the info. I guess I`ll tear into all of my Marlins & clean up the action on them. My 444ss & 1895CB work a lot better than my 1894SS. Thasnks Again 444

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had to return my new 1894FG to Marlin to fix the jamming problem. I never had a problem with my other two 41s- an 1894S and 1894CCL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts