Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have found my recent trade for a 1894 44 Mag to be quite addictive. I see that Marlin lists a 44 mag 1894 in stainless. Has anyone bought one and how are they? How much?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The b-in-l has a pre-Remlington one, was about $400 retail at the time. As far as I know, there are no stainless models currently being made, what you'll see is the JM-stamped ones being flogged at exorbitant prices, particularly in .357. It works, no better and no worse than any other .44 1894. It is handy to just have to wipe it down after a shower or blizzard. You can wax up a blued gun to resist weather almost as well, though. What you WILL find out if you hunt deer with it is that they will see movement of that light-colored gun and take off like a rocket with that white tail giving you the finger. I don't seem to have that problem with the old blue econo-1894. It does take more care to avoid rust freckles.

Stan S.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The stainless 1894 may signal where you are to a wary whitetail, but a little camo coverup should take care of that.

I prefer the SS models because of their rust resistance and because a scuff mark or light scratch can be polished out completely with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish. They also look great with nice wood. There are some good videos on polishing stainless firearms to look brand new.

To be clear, blue is beautiful, too. Most of my Marlins are blued finish, and I work hard at keeping them dried off, waxed with Renaissance and scratch free.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never had an issue with stainless guns scaring away deer. Killed a couple with various XLR models.

Reactions: momentum

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just like the looks of them. Weather resistance is a bonus but really not a "must have" criteria for a gun. I have both a 45-70 and a 450 Marlin in the stainless XLR configuration and even though I really don't need both, and I don't see any ballistic difference between them, I just can't bring myself to sell the 45-70. (I find the 450 Marlin cartridge functions smoother through the gun)
Unfortunately even though they are listed on the Marlin web sight, finding one in stainless is another matter. I have given up on a 338 Marlin XLR, so I can focus on this newest search.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Heres my 1894ss,,,,havent hunted with it yet but will this fall,,,,I really like the Stainless and walnut look

Gorgeous wood on that rifle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts