Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 1894SS to the Turkey Shoot today, that our local VFD puts on every year. Centerfire rifles @ 100yds on a standard target with point rings.
Five shooters at a time at individual targets. I shot against four other guys. One had 300 Winmag, another had a 270 Win and two had varmint-rigs in 223 Rem. My little carbine was sneered at by these nimrods until we walked down to the targets and my 44cal bulletholes were clustered deadcenter of the target. Two tens and a nine. I won the pot that round and should have left while I was ahead, but I ante'd up and kept shooting until I only had enough cash left to buy some gumbo! The only other Marlins I saw there was a teenager with an old 30/30 336 with a 'F' prefix in great shape. (He wouldn't sell). Another man had a Marlin GooseGun 12ga that he was shooting in the shotgun competition.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I went to a Turkey Shoot east of Texarkana about 20 years ago that only allowed shotguns. At first, I brought my ol' Navy Arms double 12 muzzleloader and was told that it had to be a cartridge gun. So, I went back to the house and borrowed my brother's Marlin Super Goose 10 with the 36" barrel and about a half dozen rounds of Federal copper plated #4 shot 3 1/2".

They fussed and moaned about how they were supposed to supply the ammo, but didn't have any 10 gauge. I think they were supplying #8 shot. After a bit of fussing they let me shoot that ol' Marlin.

Took the center clean out of the target. Don't mess with a Marlin. Especially a 10 gauge.

Willy

PS, My brother still has that ol' gun and won't part with it even though he doesn't shoot it much. It was his squirrel gun with the old 2 7/8" loads for years. You can't find those any more, so a couple of years ago, he bought a new single barrel break open 12 to use hunting instead. He hit it just right to get one of the Marlins that were only made for a year or two.

That ol' Super Goose 10 is still used though. He has three teenage daughters. It's now his "boyfriend" gun. When they come to pick up one of his girls, he just sits there cleaning it and asks what their intentions are with his baby girl.

Willy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let the nimrods cry in shame. I have nothing against bolt actions I own several, But! I prefer my Marlin in the woods. I also have been gawked at in unblief at the range when my targets are retrieved in small .45cal. clusters, and the bolt actions are shooting 2" to 5" groups I have heard the saying "never would have believed it if I had'nt seen it myself".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts