Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very hard decision, I can't decide whether to get a 1894SS in .44 Mag or a 1894 Cowboy in .44 Mag. I'd appreciate any info or experiences with both guns that will help me make a decision. :?
Stainless would be nice but that octagon barrel has me thinking twice. :?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
What a hard choice. They are essentially the same. If you're real good about cleaning after a hunt, the cowboy is the prettier of the two. Here in the Pacific NorthWet, I like stainless for taking out because it's rarely dry during deer season. Maybe you should get both :wink:

·
Registered
205 Posts
The current crop of 1894 Cowboy .44's are coming with a 20" barrel, which is the same as the 1894SS; ballistically, you gain nothing either way. The SS will be marginally lighter, while the Cowboy should be (in a perfect world) theoretically capable of greater inherent accuracy because of a stiffer, slightly heavier barrel. A good carbine barrel will still outshoot a mediocre rifle barrel, and since they are not all created equal, it is often a draw when the types are compared on an individual-case basis.

IMHO, the potential accuracy difference between barrel bands and traditional rifle-type magazine retention is another variable that should favor the Cowboy but is not much of a factor with typical 20" barrels. When all is said and done, there is still a tube fastened somehow to the muzzle end, with a captive spring pushing a variable number of cartridges.

The SS is constructed of materials that make the gun a bit more tolerant of the elements, and which make it easier to knock off any annoying sharp edges without much refinishing worry.

Stockwise, the SS has a lot more forend if you like them "generous," the Cowboy is less filling, but still not truly slim. The SS has a resilient rubber buttplate, the Cowboy has a slick hard polymer buttplate. Swivel studs on the SS help make life easier if you tote the rifle with a sling, and get in the way if you don't.

I can't see any practical advantages that one model has over the other as far as rear sights go, but the SS will allow you a few more options if you want aftermarket front sights.

That's about all I can come up with objectively, but I could agonize over looks all day (and I have done that too). If I were to buy for utility, I'd buy the SS.

·
Registered
696 Posts
But then again, it's hard to beat that 24" octagonal bbl. on the CB II Ltd ! ! ! AND those Marbles sights are another plus! :wink:

·
Banned
41 Posts
I'm with Capebuff on the 1894 cwy limited II but what it really os going to come down to is what you are comfortable with. There are advatanges and is advantages to both guns. If worse comes to worse and you can't decide on which one then buy both guns.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I kept it simple I have the 24" CB in 45 Colt and the 1894SS in 44 Mag. I guess the best of both worlds. However I absolutly do like the Marbles sights on the CB. Is there a problem with putting the Marbles sight on the SS? If there's not a problem, does anybody know the number to order it? Thanks

G

·
I have the Cowboy with the 24" pipe and I also have an 1894P with a 16.25" barrel. I like both although I only shoot cast in the Cowboy and mostly jacketed in the P. I have seen results from one of the SS and personally I would go with the 20" Cowboy. I'm not a big advocate of Marlin's with barrel bands :? In my whole collection I own only two Marlin's with barrel bands, they shoot alright but not as well as those without barrel bands :!:

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I'm the proud owner of four Marlins (so far) and I don't think the barrel bands are the limiting factor, if there is one. Three of the four will shoot into an inch at fifty yards, and two will do half that on a good day with proper ammo if I do my part. My 35 Rem will put five into 3/4" on a regular basis with good handloads, and my 44 Mag will (like today) go under a half-inch. Some guns like hotter loads, mine generally do not. As for the remaining rifle, an 1894C, testing has barely begun. Once I scope it, I'll be better able to judge whether the problem is with the rifle, or my dwindling vision. I'm willing to bet a scope makes a lot of difference!

PJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts