Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2nd Remlin: 1894SBL 44. It's obvious that many here use the 44 mag to hunt deer. My rifle came with Federal 240 JHP's (lead rim). I want to test it on my next hog hunt. I developed pistol loads (Bayou and Brazos 240 SWC's) that are surprisingly dead on at 25 yards from a S&W 629-5 Power Port with a Nikon Spur RD.

Handwriting Font Material property Circle Automotive wheel system

My RO tested these loads from rest @25 yards. I'm curious how the 1894 will digest them. Those of you hunting feral hogs: please share your favorite load in your 44 mag. Thanks

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Some 1894's feed SWC nose shapes, some don't. It's seemingly at random. I own two 1894's and one feeds the Keith noses slicker than slick, the other refuses. I have tried every minor tweak but no go. So test your SWC loads to make sure they function.

My favorite .44 Mag hog loads are 240 grain Winchester JSP or Nosler JSP over 23.0 grains IMR 4227, Federal 155 Large Pistol Magnum primer in a Starline case. Works well every time. Listed as 1.0 grain under Hodgdon/IMR online data MAX. Easy extraction, long case life. I get ten reloads then recycle the cases, or use them for creampuff cast loads.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have shot literally thousands of wild hogs as a farmer in South Florida, with just about every caliber you can think of. The 44 mag is very effective on them i dont handload but i have found the Winchester white box 240 grain jsp puts them down. Any of the bigger calibers work well, the small calibers work for head and heart shots but big calibers are the way to go.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some 1894's feed SWC nose shapes, some don't. It's seemingly at random. I own two 1894's and one feeds the Keith noses slicker than slick, the other refuses. I have tried every minor tweak but no go. So test your SWC loads to make sure they function.

My favorite .44 Mag hog loads are 240 grain Winchester JSP or Nosler JSP over 23.0 grains IMR 4227, Federal 155 Large Pistol Magnum primer in a Starline case. Works well every time. Listed as 1.0 grain under Hodgdon/IMR online data MAX. Easy extraction, long case life. I get ten reloads then recycle the cases, or use them for creampuff cast loads.
I loaded up three dummy rounds and she cycled 100%!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have been killing hogs grave yard dead for over 20 years with my 1894. The only load is one I put together with the Speer 270 grain GDSP over H110. Accurate and reliable.

·
Super Moderator
3,724 Posts
I’ve killed hogs with 44 mag and 41 mag pistols. An SBL would do nicely.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
When I killed those hogs in Texas with an 1894 in .44 Mag. I loaded 240 grain JSP bullets by both Winchester and Nosler over 23.0 grains IMR 4227, I don't know about lead SWC's. I'll stick with jacketed for my hunting.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have been killing hogs grave yard dead for over 20 years with my 1894. The only load is one I put together with the Speer 270 grain GDSP over H110. Accurate and reliable.
Another vote for the 270gr Speer. It did, however, take a couple to convince him to leave quietly in the back of the truck 🙄

Plant Tree Working animal Terrestrial animal Natural material

1 - 9 of 9 Posts