Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the old 1894S out to kill some cans last week, on this journey i realized that her furniture had the typical dings and scratches that any firearm form 1983 would have, Well, this will not stand with me as i am am just a bit OCD. So, on monday night i broke her down in all of about 2 minutes. I started by giving her a sand with some 120, then jumped to 180, and finished my sanding task off with some 220. I gave boiled linseed oil just a touch of cherry in a fine mix to give her just a pinch of redness. Worked the linseed oil for minutes and gave her time to rest. Came back, gave her a 400 grit sand , and re applied one more coat. Came back later and gave her a final 600 grit sand till she felt like glass. I moved on to a nice coat of orange oil to really make the grain pop, worked it in for minutes and let her sit. 20 minutes later came back and gave her a good wipe. Lastly i applied General finish's satin with 5 coats and sanding with 600 between. She is all sealed up and looking beautiful.<br>
My next task is to redo the furniture on my Browning BL22 because she has a high gloss finish and any little imperfection just jumps right out at you. <br>
<br>
Anyway, i am happy and she looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the background, you know your wood, nice job.

The key to finishing wood, is to take your time, and fine sanding between every coat. If it does not feel like glass, it is not complete.

And the end result is a since of accomplishment, knowing that you did it yourself.

Cheers gentleman.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
deog, it looks real nice and has a nice warm glow to the wood. :congrats:

·
Registered
919 Posts
That really made the grain pop looks great. Widow

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Beautiful job and really nice grain in the stock. By Orange Oil do you mean Howards Orange Oil?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beautiful job and really nice grain in the stock. By Orange Oil do you mean Howards Orange Oil?
Yep, Howards Orange feed and wax. Makes wood finish POP. Been using it for years and highly recommend it. Works on any wood that does not have a clear coat. I just put it on before the finish coats of satin, after cured, clear away.

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
deog, that is a most impressive refinishing job. Man that grain just pops!

Something to be very proud of... simply beautiful.

Jack

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Yep, Howards Orange feed and wax. Makes wood finish POP. Been using it for years and highly recommend it. Works on any wood that does not have a clear coat. I just put it on before the finish coats of satin, after cured, clear away.
One more questions deog, was the satin finish that you used the General Finishes Satin Finishing Wax?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.