Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Fall, my son, Fremontshooter90, posed a question within another thread about a carrier problem, and received some great response. This summer it came back to Dad for fixin' and I'm findin' it a slow process just sorting out all the various carriers that have been used in the 1894's and "one size apparently does not fit all" would be a good phrase.

The rifle is a 1987 Model 1894S Serial #13XXXXXX chambered in 41mag. I bought it NIB in 1990, when my son was a couple weeks old, and gave it to him upon turning 21 years old. I used it a lot, by my thinking, but guys who have helped me sort out the problem have stated it looked hardly used. Must be the lack of cleaning. (I've heard folks say more guns are worn out with a cleaning rod than by shooting! LOL!)

While shooting it on that fated day in October 2013, the carrier failed to raise the next cartridge from the magazine.

I do have #514461 coming from Brownell's and hope it will be the fixit. I did read other various threads, but most contained questions where the 41mag in the "S" is concerned and no follow-ups as to if anything worked. So, that's what this thread is for. IF/WHEN this rifle gets running again, I will post how it got done as there is precious little posted about the 41mag in the 1894S, specifically beyond what a great gun it is, which I second wholeheartedly!

Anybody else have an 1894S 41mag that died from a carrier malfunction and got resurrected? Care to share?

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: The carrier came in on Saturday.

The package was labeled Marlin Firearms F410238 .44 Carrier Complete with a bar code of 550-514-461

It was a drop-in fit and aside for some polishing that probably should be done, no fitting was required.

Thanks for all the PM's and emails of help and encouragement.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It hasn't been fired yet, but shells go from the magazine to the chamber and on out the ejection port like they should.

Jeff

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Jeff by any chance you have torn down the mag tube and cleaned it? I'm sorry I am late on this.

Most often that problem like that is timing caused by some glove lint, a few snow flakes mixed with a dab of dust where you are shoving the rounds in.

After 21 years of that, it's possible to have just a small spot near the loading gate end that will cause the mag tube to just delay the round coming in the way it should. This little bit of a lag can cause what you are describing. Again sorry I'm late for this.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I haven't Swany, but that might be for a cold winter's evening. Life is just way too busy now and through the holidays - yeah, three months away! LOL!

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts