Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to purchase a 1988 Marlin 1894S in .41 mag. Gun appears unfired, no box. I know there was less than 4,000 of the JM stamped .41's made but that's all I know about them. What do you guys think would be a good price for this rifle?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If the condition is accurate, I would think in the neighborhood of $1500 for starters. Even well worn specimens go for a grand or more.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find any excellent condition Marlin 1894 rifles in .41 for under $1500.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy that has it is asking $2,000 for his. Sounds like he is asking a premium for his, it may take a few years for it to reach that value, but you don't have a lot of opportunities to buy that gun in that condition. I'm still up in the air about the deal, too bad he won't budge off his price.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Man... you'd have to want one pretty bad to pay those prices, but does appear some get a pretty penny for them. It may well be the reason why Henry started chambering a model/rifle in the .41 caliber...?

Reactions: Pereira and DaveD

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Yep, that's top dollar in my mind, and more than I would pay for one. I guess I'll have to go the Henry route myself, as I've wanted a mate to my .41 magnum Blackhawk for quite a while. Buying anything at top dollar just because it's unfired is a waste of money, because I'll shoot it anyway. I would be a terrible "Collector".

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I ain't payin a $1000+ bucks for a pistol caliber shooter and I ain't no collector, so they can keep em.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
880 Posts
Fwiw you ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. Lol If this is what you want and you can't find one and you have the money buy it. If you procrastinate to long and it will be gone and the prices will still go up. It's always about supply and demand.

Alan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Most accurate pistol-cal Lever Action I ever held, and I have a few.

Get one. Genuine investment that will make you smile every time you shoot it.

An inherently accurate caliber with a rifling twist rate that just works (1-in-20)
Accurate? You better believe it. Killed 7 deer over the years with one of mine. The longest shot was 120 yards. One shot = a dirt nap. I will not hesitate to pull on that distance again. As was said, "If you want it, go get it". I definitely would if I didn't already have a pair of them.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Again--the number of JMs is not great for the 1894 in .41M. I always wanted one to pair up with my S&W M57 and I always thought they (1894s) would be out there back in the 1980s-1990s. Who duh thunk that they would be such rare critters? Got my 1894C JM in .357 but was fortunate to have a good friend (for a really bargain deal price). Got my 1895 45-70 GG (1999 JM same way) and I am happy.

My suggestion: try taking a handful of Benjamins over there (the number is up to you) and start sliding them one by one. I've got to agree that $1500 would be fair and my maximum. CIF (cash in fist) sometimes works. Good Luck!

JX

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thinking $1500 is the end of the world on this. I would have that amount in my pocket, lay it fanned out on the table, and see if he bites. If not, scoop it up, wish him a good evening and head for the door. DO NOT CALL HIM BACK WITH A COUNTER OFFER! He may (or may not) call you back later in the week with a counter (or hopefully a change-of-mind acceptance). Iff'n he can read your eagerness to make a deal (his deal), you're toast.

Usually when it comes to cash, he who speaks first, loses!

Just sayin'.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.