Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the board. Based in the UK.
Bought a new 1894PG about 8 months ago and cannot get it to shoot well.
In fact I am really struggling.
Trying to shoot 245g Jacketed bullets using 13g Unique - out of a group of 5, 2 shots will be on target, the other 3 can be anywhere! Also they ocassionally keyhole. Have just bought some 2400 so will try that this saturday.
Have also just bought 200g Jacketed bullets so will try them, too.
I did try some 240g lead bullets, but these were even worse. I have slugged my barrel, and it comes up at .429". It has the deep cut ballard rifling, so I thought it could handle the lead bullets? It seemed to lead the barrel when I hot a 10g unique load. Too fast?

Have had real trouble finding any good loading data for the .44 Mag as a rifle load.

Please help me someone or I will sell the bloody thing!!

Thanks,

Ross

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your load doesn't sound too hot or too heavy and it should shoot lead just fine. Check the crown to make sure there's not damage there and maybe try a couple of factory loads. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You might try some different bullet powder combos. I just spent quite a bit of time working up a load for my 1894 44 mag. The lead bullets really have not shot shot rel great so far, but the Mag tech 240 gr JFP has been shooting great with IMR 4227, and AA#9 powders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guest (Guest?),

I think 13gr is too much Unique for an accurate load. You'll do better with the 2400. Consider keeping the velocity below 1200fps while you're tuning the load, then raise it until the groups start to fall apart. I used to start at ~ 950fps to make sure "everything" was ok before I started hot-rodding the load to find it's max performance. To use the Unique with the 240gr lead, consider dropping back to 9gr and check your groups. Also consider starting with large pistol primers instead of the magnum primers with both powders (if you aren't already).

It sounds like your country's ammo spec group (I forget the org's name) did not adapt the SAAMI American spec of a .431" bore. In that respect, bullets maybe easier to find. If you're shooting lead, use .430s, .001" over to help seal the bore. .429" jacketed should be fine.

You may also have to loosen the barrel band at the muzzle, if it's too tight; file the inside of the band enough to insert some slightly "spongy" tape to soak up the vibration and yet give the bbl room to expand as it warms up.

1x2

·
Registered
93 Posts
The barrel spec is surprising. I would do a little more checking on that barrel. Mine has a restriction at the muzzle but it opens up to the normal .431. I did have success fire lapping as far as my lead bullet groups but the lapping did not improve the barrel demintions that much. I never had trouble with the jacketed bullets. They always grouped pretty good.

There is a world of possibilities for your problems and I am afraid it can get frustrating. Some of these guns shoot great out of the box and others do not but there is one variable that you can do away with right away and save yourself a lot of heartache. Lighten the trigger. I suggest doing this before anything else. No one can shoot consistant groups with a heavy trigger.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My 1894 has a micro-groove barrel and shoots any thing pretty well but the best were,240 gr. semi wad cutters from a remanufacturing company.As a hunting load I load Hornady 300 gr.xtp/hp's I don't remember the charge but it was 4227powder and pretty accurate. shootrj2003

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ross, my .44 revolver and my 1894 microgroove were both sensitive to the accuracy/load relationship. I used 'Unique' powder because '2400' was a tad too slow for the revolver but it worked well in the Marlin.

My best accuracy results were with a half jacket bullet (Speer #4435). I never had any success with FMJ bullets. My lead bullets required gas checks even at moderate loads. I used 8 grains of 'Unique' for short range 'paper punching'. As previously posted, 13 grains is too much for an accuracy load. Start low and work your way up to ascertain what happens.

Half the fun with the .44 Magnum is experimenting with various bullet/charge combinations. It's a very versatile round. Don't give up on your 1894!

Jim H

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.

I actually had my trigger done when I bought my rifle new, and it is a lovely trigger.

I made up some various loads last week, at went down to a 25yd range yesterday.

The best load was 200g FMJ with 11.5g Unique. I got 5 shots in less than an inch, nearly 3/4".

The second best load was 245g FMJ with 16g 2400, not quite as good but pretty good.

So I will now make some more of these up, and go to the 100yd range and see how they do.

I'm a little bit happier now!

P.S, that was with quite strong winds. I think I could do better in better conditions.

Yes, that was scoped!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ross . . .

I was gonna mention a possible binding problem quite possibly the magazine tube but it sounds like you're well on your way to Marlin heaven ! ! ! Keep on relaodin' and shootin' ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts