Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly acquired Marlin has yet to be sighted in to my satisfaction. I should have scoped it, instead I had a Williams recvr sights installed. With no shroud on the front sight of the "fire sight" or what ever they called it, became damaged. I bought from my local gun dealer, a HiViz front with a green tube, what I really wanted. This is their lowest height sight .315". At 100 yds I can not punch a hole on the paper (3'x3'). So at 25 yds when I screw the sight down (bottom out) I am at the zero, side to side is dead on. My thinking is I need a lower front sight. I picked up some advice on a board that I need a taller front sight. This has got me to thinking I need a better brand of whiskey. I ordered a .240" from Williams, their lowest sight. I would really hate to have to scope this gun to get it to shoot. How ever at 1" over at 25 should fall in the kill zone out to 60 yds dead on hold. What do you think?
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'm sure exactly where you are hitting. With the rear sight all the way down where are you hitting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
After reading your post again and looking at some ballistics tables I have changed my mind. :oops: The front sight you have should work. Did you try 40 or 50 yards? Did the shots go under or over the paper at 100 yards? If the shots are low raise the rear sight. If the shot went high a taller front sight is needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my mind I think I need a lower front sight. At 100 ( no spotter) I have no clue, except its dead on left or right. At 25 yds I had to crank the rear sight down to get close to the bull. The bullet gets out at 1700+ so in theory at 1-1.25 high I should be on with 265 g bullet at 100. I don't plan on shooting 100 yds/ iron sights. But it should be the kill zone, on paper. I would like more latitude than being almost bottom out. Use of a lighter bullet maybe. So if the front sight goes down from .315" to .240" is that not the same as raising the rear sight?
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You should try to get it on paper at 100 and see where it shoots. If you have the shorter sight ordered it will give you a reference point, then if the poi isnt where you want, you will know you should have gotten the other sight.

The front sights that I have replaced have all been higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since your rear sight has to be lowered to the bottom to hit a target (typical with many receiver sights), adding a shorter front sight will exacerbate the condition. Installing a shorter front sight is equivalent to raising the rear sight. Conversly, installing a higher front sight would give you room to raise the elevation adjustment at the rear.

If you're "about dead on" at 25 yards and can't hit a 3 foot square target at 100 yards, I doubt that the problem is with your sights.

Jim H

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow this has been confusing. I am dead on at 25 yds with the sights bottom out (all the way down), At 100 yds with the rear sight midway I could not hit the paper. Now let me say that if you have never fired a 16" Marlin 44 mag off the bench, you will not understand why you go to plan b. Try 25 yds. In theory the lower front sight will lend more correction to the rear sight. If the problem is not corrected I will digress and go with the implied suggestion it may be the shooter.
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your going the wrong way :!: Leave the rear sight all the way down,& try 100 yrds. My 20" 44 mag. is 1 1/2-2" hight at 50 yrds,1-2" low At 100 yrds. 4" of barrel can't make that much difference. The Williams sight works great just be patient once you get on paper things will clear up :lol:
good luck good shooting

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Jim n Iowa said:
My newly acquired Marlin has yet to be sighted in to my satisfaction. I should have scoped it, instead I had a Williams recvr sights installed. With no shroud on the front sight of the "fire sight" or what ever they called it, became damaged. I bought from my local gun dealer, a HiViz front with a green tube, what I really wanted. This is their lowest height sight .315". At 100 yds I can not punch a hole on the paper (3'x3'). So at 25 yds when I screw the sight down (bottom out) I am at the zero, side to side is dead on. My thinking is I need a lower front sight. I picked up some advice on a board that I need a taller front sight. This has got me to thinking I need a better brand of whiskey. I ordered a .240" from Williams, their lowest sight. I would really hate to have to scope this gun to get it to shoot. How ever at 1" over at 25 should fall in the kill zone out to 60 yds dead on hold. What do you think?
Jim
Jim,

If you want to shoot...

...higher then
raise the rear sight or lower the front
...lower then
lower the rear sight or raise the front
...left then
move the rear sight to the left
...right then
move the rear sight to the right

Mad

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jim, I didn't read your post carefully. You stated:

"I am dead on at 25 yds with the sights bottom out (all the way down), At 100 yds with the rear sight midway I could not hit the paper."

Try longer ranges with the rear sight at the bottom. As the previous posts stated, you need a taller front sight.

Jim H

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is about 50/50. I picked up the rifle from Sheels today ($21) as I could not get the front sight out. The 2 smiths were still in a quandry as to what to advise me to do. To late to hit the range till wed (weather) I will try 240 PMC at 25yds, they chrony =1700 fps, which at 1.5 should put me in the kill zone to 100, as a 4'' target. I will let you know. Granted at 25 yds I was bottom out, the longer range would have caused me to elevate the rear sight. I think that there should be more adjustment from the rear sight. A 44 mag out of a 16" barrel with receiver sights, is not a 100 yd weapon in my opion. So I want a 25 -60 yd dead on hold for my loads 240-300g. I chose a receiver sight as for old eyes as its easy to focus on the target at closer ranges. My 44 pistols do not recoil this much. To bad my x mother-in law doesn't shoot.
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts